Chick having trouble pooping?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Haley Clark, Mar 2, 2013.

1. Haley Clark

Haley Clark Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 2, 2013
    Western North Carolina
    I have a chick and I don't know what the problem is she had pasty butt so I cleaned it off and the vent is open and clean. She is 3 days old and in sure the pasty butt was caused from shipping but I'm scared I will loose her. I am in tears [​IMG] Someone help.. When she goes to poop, she squats and shakes a lot like she is having trouble is that normal or not if not how can I fix it, and her poop isn't diahrrea it is a little log looking thing so I think that is normal and her little hole, where she poops is it supposed to sort of stick out or is it supposed to be flat on her body. Someone please help I really don't want to lose her. Thank you

2. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    It probably hurts the chick to poop. She has a little vent prolapse, which isn't that uncommon with pasty butt. Are you putting neosporin or hemorrhoid ointment, or even vaseline or vegetable oil, on the vent? Lubrication will help the discomfort. Be sure she has plenty of water; it can be hard to maintain a supply of fresh water with chicks, the way they kick shavings or litter into the water. If you have some molasses I'd put a small amount in the water, maybe half a teaspoon in a quart. Organic ACV in the water would also be good, about the same amount. I would probably also put a little water, one drop at a time, along the side of the beak, to encourage her to drink. She should pull it into her mouth. This is safer than putting it in her mouth with a syringe, because with a syringe you can force it into her lungs by mistake.

3. Haley Clark

Haley Clark Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 2, 2013
    Western North Carolina
    Ok thank you a ton! I will try Vaseline on her little butt but will the other chicks peck at it?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by