Chick having trouble standing.

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by steph123, May 6, 2011.

1. steph123

steph123 New Egg

May 6, 2011
    I have a chick that is having trouble standing. One leg is turned out (foot pointing to side not forward). It can bend and move its leg, but keeps falling over. It seems to have happened over night although my son says he has noticed it being wobbley before this morning. How do I know if it is broken or injured or spraddle leg? The chicks are over a month old. Any help would be appreciated.

2. chickensinwasillaAK

chickensinwasillaAK Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 2, 2011
    Wasilla Alaska
    [​IMG] sounds like spradle leg to me but post this in the emergencies section and you'll get better responses.

3. Cats Critters

Cats Critters Completely Indecisive

[​IMG] I don't know but you will most likely get better answers in the Emergency section.

4. white01

white01 Brady Brook Poultry

May 11, 2010
    West Enfield,Maine
    ditto [​IMG] [​IMG] from Maine

5. MSDeb

MSDeb Chillin' With My Peeps

Welcome to BYC, glad you decided to join us. Ditto on relocating your question.

6. 4-H chicken mom

4-H chicken mom Overrun With Chickens

Aug 3, 2007
    Oberlin, OH
    [​IMG] and [​IMG] from Ohio. So glad you joined. Good advice given. You could do a search on spayed legs. Someone here made shoes for their chick to correct the problem. [​IMG]

7. weimarmama

weimarmama Overrun With Chickens

Jun 4, 2010
    Alabama
    My Coop
    [​IMG] & [​IMG] from Alabama. You might want to try giving it some Enfamil poly-vi-sol (without iron) & making a brace for its legs using a rubberband or a bandaid & a little shoe. And if you have it on anything slippery like newspaper you should change to a different type of bedding like non-slip shelf liner or paper towels. We had a chick like that last year & after a week she had improved a lot. Good luck [​IMG]

8. Attack Chicken

Attack Chicken [IMG]emojione/assets/png/2665.png?v=2.2.7[/IMG] Hu

Sep 25, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN
    [​IMG] from Indiana!!! [​IMG]
    [​IMG] onyour chick [​IMG]

9. KlaHaYa Gardens

KlaHaYa Gardens Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2011
    Hello and Welcome! I hope you get the help you are looking for. Who knows, there just might be a thread on casting and splinting chicks. [​IMG]

10. steph123

steph123 New Egg

May 6, 2011
    I would like to know how to make the splint, but I can't see how to make it work if the chicks whole leg is turning at the hip joint.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by