Chick help!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Eckielady, Apr 12, 2017.

1. Eckielady

Eckielady Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2017
    East Tennessee
    We have had 8 successful hatches but one is not doing well. She was hatched out sometime last night. I found her away from the group and laying on her back, cold. We warmed her up and got her back under mama. Found her laying on her back again not under mama. She is chirping like crazy but keeps falling on her back with her eyes closed. She seems really week but isn't getting worse. What the heck?

2. 3riverschick

3riverschick Poultry Lit Chaser

May 19, 2009
    western PA
    My Coop
    It sounds like a vitamin deficiency. if you have a tractor supply close pick up a small bottle of Bovidr Labs Poultry Nutridrench .
    give the chick one drop only by mouth. give her another drop every 8 to 10 hours until she's perky.
    put 1/2 teaspoon in a quart of water . do that for the first 10 days to get her off to a strong start .
    if you don't have access to the poultry Nutridrench , then go ahead and give it Poly-vi-sol infant human vitamins without iron ...don't put that in her water... just give her one drop and then another drop every 8 to 10 hours until perky.
    Best ,
    Karen

3. Eckielady

Feb 12, 2017
    East Tennessee
    Thanks so much. She's gone. We just couldn't watch her suffer anymore. I wonder now if the vitamin thing was right but neurologically she was just off. We tried all day and she got worse.

4. cinnabunz

cinnabunz Just Hatched

Apr 7, 2017
    So sorry to hear that :/ ateast shes not in any kind of discomfort anymore

5. Eckielady

Feb 12, 2017
    East Tennessee
    I wish we had thought of the vitamin thing but she was so far gone I don't think it would have helped her. Broke my daughters heart.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by