Chick help

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Barnyard, Feb 15, 2008.

1. Barnyard

Barnyard Addicted to Quack

Aug 5, 2007
    Southwest Georgia
    I have week old RIR's and EE's. When one of the ee's were born it had some membrain(sp) stuck to it's back, while he was in the bator it dryed up pretty good and was super hard. So I left it not wanting to hurt the little chickie. Well since he has been in the brooder I have noticed all of the other's picking at his bare back. He has a little bit of fuzz back there but very little. Other than that he is fine, eating, drinking, and pooping fine. What can I do to make them stop pecking at his back?? Thanks

Last edited: Feb 15, 2008
  2. hypnofrogstevie

hypnofrogstevie chick magnet

Jul 12, 2007
    Newton NJ
    Maybe some warm water on a cloth might work. Gently wipe his back off

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 15, 2008
  3. Barnyard

Aug 5, 2007
    Southwest Georgia
    Quote:Thanks. The membrain is not stuck on him anymore. They just want stop picking at his bare back.

4. Tuffoldhen

Tuffoldhen Flock Mistress

Jan 30, 2007
    WV
    Some people have good luck applying a spray called Blu-Kote...it's a farm animal antibotic spray...

I did see a post where someone had more trouble with it not working and the chickens still pecked but I have always used it and had no problems...

Be careful with it, it sprays purple mist and gets on you and everything else if you do not have a good aim!...I think it comes in a bottle with an applicator too....

5. hypnofrogstevie

Jul 12, 2007
    Newton NJ
    A little off topic but when I used to work at my old job. They had blue-kote in a spray bottle. It was used as a thing for the oven pan to get off grease. It was kind of like a spraying teflon as the guy told me. It said its poisonous on food or if you get it on your skin. Can this be the same stuff?

6. Tuffoldhen

Tuffoldhen Flock Mistress

Jan 30, 2007
    WV
    This is an animal antibotic spray found in feed or farm stores...

Last edited: Feb 15, 2008
  7. jeaucamom

jeaucamom Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 1, 2007
    Ophir, CA
    You should also be using a red heat lamp and the color of his skin will not be so obvious. Good luck!!

8. hypnofrogstevie

Jul 12, 2007
    Newton NJ
    Quote:Ok I thought it was a little weird how they had the same name. Its even spelt the same

9. Barnyard

Aug 5, 2007
    Southwest Georgia
    ok thanks everyone. I was using a red heat lamp but in the beginning it was not getting warm enough. I might be able to swap back now and them be ok.

Tuffoldhen, I know what you are talking about. I have some but I don't think it is any good anymore. I will get some more.

10. d.k

d.k red-headed stepchild

*I read s/w that a spritz or 2 of vinegar & water will make birds stop pecking the afflicted, BUT for tiny chickees you'd have to use a pretty weak mix I bet. Maybe an ounce of V. to a qt. spray? Someone else might know for sure the ratio.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by