1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login, otherwise join BYC here!

chick holding head to the side...?????

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Cloverleaf Farm, Mar 17, 2011.

1. Cloverleaf Farm

Cloverleaf Farm Bearded Birds are Best

Sep 16, 2008
    Levan, UT
    [​IMG][​IMG]

He can't stand up, and was so stressed by the other chicks in the brooder, all he has done is sleep since I've been holding him. I'm guessing one of the bigger chicks trampled him, what do you all think? (it gets pretty crazy in there sometimes) His head only goes over to his left side, though he can pick it up straight, and he can turn it over to the right side. He doesn't hold it down like wry neck. He can move his legs fine, just can't stand up. He's about 10 days old. He was fine last night, I just found him like this a few minutes ago when I went to check feed/water.

Thanks!!

Last edited: Mar 17, 2011
  2. ZooMummzy

ZooMummzy Queen of the Zoo

Mar 31, 2008
    Philomath, Oregon
    Quote:Sent you a PM....could be he was trampled, could be a vitamin deficiency or could be the bigger chicks are bullying him and he hasn't been eating or drinking enough (have you seen him do this?). I've treated chicks who had both of those problems from time to time....

3. Cloverleaf Farm

Cloverleaf Farm Bearded Birds are Best

Sep 16, 2008
    Levan, UT
    Thanks, not yet, it's literally been just a few minutes since I found him, I'm still holding him and letting him sleep. I will give him some poly vi sol. Thanks! (I'm going to have to take him to the show with me this weekend... [​IMG] )

Last edited: Mar 17, 2011
  4. ZooMummzy

ZooMummzy Queen of the Zoo

Mar 31, 2008
    Philomath, Oregon
    Quote:He's such a cutie [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by