Chick Hurt Leg

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Mak, Jul 1, 2010.

1. Mak

Mak Songster

Dec 12, 2009
    Londonderry, NH
    When I went out to feed and clean up in the coop this morning, I noticed one of the Dominiques, Chloe, has apparently hurt one leg/foot. She is hopping around on the other leg and holding the hurt one tucked up. I picked her up (so glad I started hand feeding them treats!), but I don't see anything- no blood or obvious cuts or splinters. It doesn't appear broken. Could she have hurt it jumping off the roosts this morning? I put her in a small pet carrier with shavings, and food and water, figuring at least she can rest it in there and the others won't pick on her because she's injured. I'll keep checking it in case it is a cut for any sign of infection.

Anything else I should look for or do? I'm hoping a few days rest will help whatever it is heal.

Of course, now all the others are poking and pecking at the strange box in the coop! [​IMG]

2. MMPoultryFarms

MMPoultryFarms Songster

Jun 21, 2010
    Okarche Oklahoma
    Just keep her comfortable, give her food and water and let her rest. Chickens heal themselves really fast If there not pestered or bothered. You did the best thing by moving her. She will let you know when she is better. [​IMG]

3. Hollywood Chickens

Hollywood Chickens Songster

Mar 12, 2009
    Florida
    How old is she? some vitamins wouldn't hurt

4. Mak

Mak Songster

Dec 12, 2009
    Londonderry, NH
    They are almost 6 weks old now.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: