Chick hurt not eating. Skinny HELP!!!!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by jay1995, Apr 21, 2009.

1. jay1995

jay1995 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 27, 2009
    St. Augustine, Florida
    I went out to feed this morning and found a chick laying on its side under the heat lamp. They all gather under it and hudle ive moved it as close as I can and they still do this. This chick is 2 months old and isnt doing well. he has lost feeling in one leg so he cant wallk or stand. Ive been watching him for a few days and he has lost weight. They are able to and drink all day. we took him out and layed him on the floor his stomach feels squished in. I medicated his water and have been dipping his beak. He was eating and now has stopped. He has not pooped in 2 hours. and he just sits and lay on his side with his eyes closed. He peeps every few minuets. Please tell me what I should do. Thanks, Jay

2. M@M@2four

[email protected]@2four Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2008
    USA
    Remove him immediately to his own box with heat lamp, water, and food. I would make a wet mash of food(water mixed with food). If he's not drinking, I would help dip his beak into the water to keep him hydrated. I would start him on Poly-visol WITHOUT Iron vitamin drops immediately. You can buy these just about anywhere(Walmrat, rite-aid, grocery store)---they are located in baby area or in medicine. They are for infants--I give a chick of that size about 1/2 dropperful evry 6-8 hours. I love these vitamins and keep them handy for sick or lethargic chicks. Good luck!

3. chicklady63

chicklady63 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 10, 2009
    This sounds like good advice for you. So sorry about your chick. I hope things go well. Let us know.
    Good luck!

4. jay1995

jay1995 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 27, 2009
    St. Augustine, Florida
    he passed and so has another and im scared its gonnna go through my whole flock

5. M@M@2four

Mar 12, 2008
    USA
    I'm SO sorry!!! [​IMG]

6. M@M@2four

Mar 12, 2008
    USA
    Could it be worms? You said they were very skinny? Also, check them for chicken lice/mites/. Look very closely at the base of the tail, back, chest, and under feathers. They are sometimes translucent, but turn red when filled with blood. This can cause chicks/chickens to become anemic, lose weight, and stop eating very quickly and cause death. If you do see mites, I use both Adams flea and tick spray as well as Sevin dust. For worms, I use a small drop of Ivermectin paste(you can buy this at TSC). I mean just a drop and it rids them of worms very quickly. Please keep us posted!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by