chick I helped out of the shell seems not to be able to hold his head?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by daniellenoel, Apr 25, 2009.

1. daniellenoel

daniellenoel Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2009
    Vail Colorado
    is this normal?? He seems super weak and not able to hold his head very well. We helped him chip out of the egg after he pipped for a day with no progress. ( the hole stayed the same size) He is the only one left in the incubator..he is pretty dry now. Should I put him in the brooder with the other chicks and block him off fromm the others? Any ideas? I am not sure if he is going to make it. I have never done this before so any suggestions would be great.
    Thanks

2. patyrdz

patyrdz The Madd Hatcher

Feb 26, 2009
    Southern Pines, NC
    I would keep him separated from the others. You can give him some baby vitamins, I just don't know the name of the. Some one will post it in a minute!

3. FrizzleFreak

FrizzleFreak Chillin' With My Peeps

IF the neck is twisted, then definitely seperate. If not, I don't know...there isn't anything in my chicken health handbook on it...I would assume just lack of muscle and the chick will probably die.

4. patyrdz

patyrdz The Madd Hatcher

Feb 26, 2009
    Southern Pines, NC
    He may just be tired from trying to get out of the shell. I have had many that were late hatchers and they have made it.[​IMG]

Ahha...here is the vitamins...Poly-vi-sol. (without iron)!

Last edited: Apr 25, 2009
  5. daniellenoel

Apr 22, 2009
    Vail Colorado
    not sure if his neck is twisted.. just seems to keep tucking his head under him

6. daniellenoel

Apr 22, 2009
    Vail Colorado
    where do i get the vitamins?

7. OrganicCowgirl

OrganicCowgirl Out Of The Brooder

Apr 11, 2008
    northeast of Houston, TX
    You can get them at any drug store, or probably in the baby section of the grocery store, too.

[​IMG]

8. daniellenoel

Apr 22, 2009
    Vail Colorado
    got him in the brooder... fluffed up more when I got him out.. peeped the whole time I drove him home.. When I put him in the brooder.. the other chicks started to peck at him I think to get the stuff stuck to his feathers. I seperated him with a piece of cardboard so he can rest. any other suggestions?Is it normal for them to peck at the other chicks?

9. daniellenoel

Apr 22, 2009
    Vail Colorado
    I will try to get to the store later and get some. Thanks Do I give him a few drops?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by