Chick ID **Update**

65browneyes

Songster
12 Years
Mar 2, 2007
Arizona
My broody hatched this chick on April 30. This chick is the only one that hatched, which makes it easy for me to ID it's mama. I think I know the sire's breeding. Thought it would be fun to see if anybody here agrees with my thoughts, which I will share after a few guesses from the BYC folks.

Here she/he (or shim) is a couple days after hatch.

2008Chicks2007.jpg

Here shim is today, at 5 weeks.

100_1211.jpg

and

100_1212.jpg

I'm anxious to hear what you have to say.

Edited to add, the broody is in one of the shots with shim, but the broody is NOT the hen who laid the egg.

Edited to add update to title.

Last edited:
One of my mutts looks just like that and I am thinking it is a cross between a RIR roo (since he is the only roo) and a GLW. Kinda strange guess maybe, but like I said it looks like my chick. The first pic though since my chick is only a little over a week old.

Hmmm......I'd love to hear the reasoning behind your guesses as well. I'll post a pic of the hen that laid this particular egg tomorrow afternoon.

looks exactly like the RIR chicks I got from feed store (hatchery supplied), from first pix to now. They are 7 wks old today. Some of them have some darker "necklace" feathers, and so far none of the RIRs have developed overly pink combs & wattles *unlike the BO roo that's supposed to be a pullet, and the BR roo supposedly a pullet...* Hope it stays that way with the RIRs (I'd think if one was a roo it would be manifesting signs by now, and hopefully it'll be the same with the black Australorps (5 wks 1 day old today), that they'll be all pullets.
fl.gif

Well Guitartists, you and I are thinking right along the same lines on this one! Here's the hen that laid this chick's egg. It was a beautiful green egg.

100_1222.jpg

and here

100_1217.jpg

She was pretty rough looking the day I got her. She'd obviously been with a roo as her back was nearly bare and several of her feathers elsewhere on her little body were broken. She was thin, but was then and still is a sweet girl. She looks SO much better now than she did then. We named her Smelly Shelly because she couldn't "hold it" until we got home with her. My van is just now beginning to smell normal again. LOL.

This chick hatched from either the egg she laid in the box on the way home or the following day. Looking back, I really wish I had put more like a week's worth under the broody. Might have gotten more of these chicks.

At any rate, she was in a cage outside a feed store with a Brahma hen, a smaller hen that may have been a Golden Campine, but I'm not sure and a gorgeous, HUGE RIR rooster with the biggest spurs I've ever seen. Of all those chickens, she was the roughest looking and the thinnest. I chose her because I really wanted green egg layers and couldn't find EE chicks locally. She's a wonderful layer, giving me approximately 5 eggs per week. Best $20 I've spent in a long time.

I have 2, 10 week old RIR chicks (one's a cockeral, the other a pullet). This chick's wing markings are pretty much identical to theirs' at this age. Snickers (as my daughter named shim) appears to have a comb just like Shelly's. I really hope for a pullet, but suspect/fear a cockeral.

Thanks for playing along, everybody!!

Edited to add, the pics are SO big, and I resized them. Sorry about that!!

Last edited by a moderator:
After almost 4 months, I thought I'd post an updated pic of my Snickers baby. I'm sure she's a pullet now. At 22 weeks with no roo-ish tendancies, I would sure think so!
wink.png

She's kind of standing at a funky angle here, but this is my sweet girl.

100_1265.jpg

And I think this shot shows her coloring a bit better.

100_1266.jpg

She was terrified of the big bad human for the entire time she was with the broody, but has warmed up nicely to me. She'll sit in my lap in the evening, stretch her neck out across my fingers just so and fall fast asleep. The only thing she asks is that I sit to hold her. She freaks out if I'm standing or walking around.

She has only very slight bearding. I'm not sure I see any real EE in her now. If I hadn't known exactly what egg she hatched from at this point, I wouldn't think she is EE with RIR.

What do all of you think?

Back
Top Bottom