1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login, otherwise join BYC here!

Chick ID ?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by rayb, Jul 31, 2008.

1. rayb

rayb Out Of The Brooder

Jul 14, 2008
    We are still trying to figure out our mystery chick from McMurrey. Would anyone like to venture a guess?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I'm thinking it's a Red Jungle Fowl but that is not one listed in their Rare and Unusual breed section.

2. SterlingAcres

SterlingAcres Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 17, 2008
    Poconos, PA
    Easter Egger.

3. Grass

Grass Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 3, 2008
    Salem,Ohio
    i agree EE....mine looked just like that and came out to be a beautiful black and white feathered hen..with a small touch of red on the breast

4. rayb

rayb Out Of The Brooder

Jul 14, 2008
    Would McMurrey send that as a Rare Breed? We ordered an EE with that order. Here they are together.

[​IMG]

The EE on the left has the very visible cheek feathers. The mystery chick on the right has chipmunk striping but it is much more pronounced than the EE. It is also a bigger/heavier bird though you can't tell by this picture.

Ray

5. keljonma

keljonma Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2007
    8A East Texas
    When we ordered our flock from McMurray, I said I didn't want the mystery chick. So they sent me a duplicate of a pullet chick I did order - White Plymouth Rock.

6. pkeeler

pkeeler Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 20, 2008
    Shamong
    It is a Red Cap. I got three just like it.

7. swtangel321

swtangel321 ~Crazy Egg Lady~

Jul 11, 2008
    looks just like my ee I got !!!!

8. rayb

rayb Out Of The Brooder

Jul 14, 2008
    Quote:The Red Caps don't seem to have the black around the eyes. At least not in the pics on McMurrey's website. Did yours have black around the eyes? Do you have any pics you could share?

Ray

9. Guitartists

Guitartists Resistance is futile

Mar 21, 2008
    Michigan
    I think it is an EE...does it have a pea comb? If so, than that is what ya got [​IMG]

10. ChickenToes

ChickenToes Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2008
    NE Wisconsin
    I ordered my EEs from MM and they did not have the black around the eyes like yours do. I don't think they are EEs.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by