Chick ideal weight

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by NewRIRMom, Sep 15, 2009.

1. NewRIRMom

NewRIRMom Out Of The Brooder

Jul 16, 2009
    I have 15 RIR pullets. They are 9 weeks old and have been growing well. Today when I was spending time with them I was holding them and they felt a little thin to me. Their "keel" felt a little sharp to me. I'm an animal caretaker at a wildlife rehabilitation center and I'm comparing the chick's keel to the way wild birds feel when they are thin or emaciated. My girls always have full feeders (Nutrena medicated chick starter) and get treats several times per week. They eat well and spend the day in an outdoor run. I have not weighed any of them. I do have a RIR mix that is 7 weeks old and she weighs 510 grams. Her keel feel simlar to the others. Any thoughts? Thanks

2. Eastins Eggs

Eastins Eggs Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2009
    Ceresco Nebraska
    Chickens at that age will seem skinny they will fill out with age. I wouldn't worry their just growing teenagers.

3. NewRIRMom

NewRIRMom Out Of The Brooder

Jul 16, 2009
    Thanks, I thought it was probably just because they are growing so fast. They are very active and seem healthy and happy. Just being an over protective mom I guess. These are my first chickens and my husband and I are having a great time with them.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by