Chick Identification - embryo dye procedure?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Buns, Nov 22, 2010.

1. Buns

Buns Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 3, 2010
    Quitman, Texas
    *Not* to stir anything up as I did a BYC search on dyeing chicks and it appeared very controversial, but I was just reading on a breed club site where it gave tips on how to identify specific chicks in each hatch. One way mentioned was embro dyeing. I am having a terrible time with keeping up with "who is who" once they come out of the shell. I do not incubate my own eggs and I go pick them up when they are a day or two old (once everyone is out of the shell) so watching and putting a leg band on them as they come out of the shell is not an option. I mark the shells by breed and date, but that isn't really doing me a lot of good... I thought that embryo dyeing might be an option. I'm not thinking of using it as a selling tool at all. I just need a way to identify chicks. Tips or suggestions on how to solve this problem would be appreciated.
    Thank you.

2. HorseFeatherz NV

HorseFeatherz NV Eggink Chickens

Can you ask your hatcher to separate the eggs before they pip - either use baskets or make a divider for the incubator. (I know nothing about dyeing pre-pipped chicks, sorry)

3. rebelcowboysnb

rebelcowboysnb Confederate Money Farm

Sent ya a PM on how its done.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by