1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Chick identification help please.

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Jennandy92212, Feb 16, 2016.

1. Jennandy92212

Jennandy92212 New Egg

Jul 15, 2015
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

3 weeks old brown egg layer variety. Any identification tips would be appreciated.

2. animalwild

animalwild Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 29, 2015
    I think the two in the top left corner are Silver Laced Wyandottes and the tan colored ones might be Buff Orpingtons.

1 person likes this.
  3. animalwild

Jan 29, 2015
    The black speckled ones towards the bottom might be Barred Rock.

4. CoopDeDoo

CoopDeDoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 8, 2011
    NW Washington State
    Quote:Which hatchery did they come from? That can help narrow things down a bit :)

5. Jennandy92212

Jennandy92212 New Egg

Jul 15, 2015
    McMurray McMurray Hatchery

6. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    sorry, the only thing I am sure of is you need a much bigger brooder - now!!

7. Jennandy92212

Jennandy92212 New Egg

Jul 15, 2015
    They were in 2 separate ones and now they are in 3.

8. CoopDeDoo

CoopDeDoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 8, 2011
    NW Washington State
    Ok - here is what MMC says can be in their brown layer assortment: Black Australorps; Lt. Brahmas; Dark Cornish; Black and White Giants; Buff and White Orpingtons; New Hampshire, Rhode Island Reds, Barred, White, Partridge, Buff Rocks;Delaware, Sussex, Turkens; White, Silver Laced, & Columbian Wyandottes, Red Star and Black Star.

Brahmas will have feathered feet - any feathered feet in there?
    Turkens will have naked necks - any have naked necks?
    Wyandottes will have a rose comb and Cornish will have peacomb- are they all straight combs?

Orpingtons have white legs & Rocks have yellow - you have several "buff" locking chicks so leg color should be able to help
    Hatchery NH, RIR and Red Star are all probably going to look very similar until their final feathering..

All that being said [​IMG] I think I see a BR, possibly a couple of Partridge rocks or possibly black stars and several buff or red breeds. Would it be possible to get photos of an individual of each type/color group? Whatever they turn out to be - you should have plenty eggs this summer [​IMG]

9. animalwild

Jan 29, 2015
    With those options I think you will have some Sikver Laced Wyandottes or Buff Orpngtons. I have some Silver Laced and only one has a rose comb the other four have straight. So it could be either. You also could have some Barred Rock.

10. WyandotteIndeed

WyandotteIndeed Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 18, 2012
    Southern Oregon
    Excellent info!
    I also see at least 2 that are going to be black Australorps or Black Jersey Giants, and one with a clear chipmunk pattern that should be the speckled sussex.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by