Chick identification? :-)

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by StarSpun, Feb 7, 2014.

1. StarSpun

StarSpun Chillin' With My Peeps

Hey everyone!

Pretty new here! My husband and I are looking for two baby chicks in Florida....preferably Easter Eggers/Ameraucana. I came across a craigslist ad....someone is selling two chicks. I have inquired about them but have received no answers yet on the sex or breed.

I know it's hard to tell at this age, but does anyone have any ideas? I was wondering if one was an Easter Egger and the yellow one was a Buff Orpington. I'd be open to a BO....as I hear their personalities are amazing. I'd prefer more eggs, but hey! :)

Thanks so much in advance! :)

Edit: Hmmm maybe the chipmunk one is a brown leghorn? I read that EEs generally have darker legs?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 7, 2014
  2. The EE has no muff it looks like. So if it is it might not have a muff.

The white one could be anything. Cornish. Buff Orpington. Buff anything.

That being said, it's pretty safe to say its an EE and BO.

You cannot sex them at this age, and if they say what they are, don't expect it.

3. StarSpun

Thanks so much for your response! Interesting, I never thought to look for the muff....very new to this:)
    It looks like s/he has a bit of fluff there in one of the photos, but again, I don't know what to look for....
    So it is impossible to have the person tell the sex at this time? I so want to get them, but....yeah....can't get a male in my area:-(
    Guess I'll have to pass....*pout*

P.S. Your avatar is hilarious! Love it!

Last edited: Feb 7, 2014
  4. Lady of McCamley

Lady of McCamley Overrun With Chickens

Mar 19, 2011
    NW Oregon
    The left chick looks more like a Brown Leghorn, possibly a Welsummer, or a Speckled Sussex...all of those breeds have chipmonk patterned chicks.

The yellow chick could be anything....Buff Orpington, White Leghorn, Cornish Cross. Lots of yellow colored chicks.

If you can't have males, and don't want to risk it, go to a feed store and purchase Red Sexlinks or Black Sexlinks or Welsummers.

First, the non sex linked breeds have been professionally sexed at 90% accuracy (so you have some risk). Secondly, the sex link breeds are very clear to sex as the males and females are different colors.

Be careful of purchasing Sexlinks off of Craigslist. Many people purchase Sexlinks from a feed store, then breed them thinking they'll get sexlinks, however it is only good for the first generation. After that, the chicks come out the same color.

My 2 cents.
    Lady of McCamley

5. sepaditty1

sepaditty1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2008
    South Carolina
    Don't know what kind they are, but I want them! Too precious!

But I agree. If you need females, you're sort of limited to breeds. We started with gold sexlinks from the feed store. $3 each & guaranteed female. Can't go wrong.

6. StarSpun

Thanks so much for writing. It's something to think about for sure. The big things for me are temperment and egg laying. We for sure want lots of eggs, consistently, but personality is a big thing. The more the 'lap chicken' the better! Are any of the sexlinks like this or the Welsummer?

7. StarSpun

I know right?! They are SO sweet!
    The person never wrote or texted me back, so I guess they are not available....probably a good thing or I'd be wanting to take them!

How are the gold sexlinks personalities? I want something very, PET like I guess. Docile and friendly and easily picked up:)

8. sepaditty1

sepaditty1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2008
    South Carolina
    My sexlinks are very friendly. Follow me around the yard, run to the gate when they see me. I've never had a problem catching them to hold them. They don't jump on my lap when I sit down, but they are friendly girls.

9. StarSpun

Ok cool! Good to know:)

I guess the personality of a chicken may have a bit to do with nurture too....
    Still not sure what to get....but the right ones will come along!
    :)

10. Lady of McCamley

Lady of McCamley Overrun With Chickens

Mar 19, 2011
    NW Oregon
    Yes, nurture does play into it a lot. Then, of course choosing a "friendlier" type breed.

For "friendlier" it is often the line as well as the breed as I've had very mean Buff Orpingtons while many report they are very pet like. Most Silkies are very friendly, but my broody Silkie is all business (which is fine for me as I want her as a brooder not as a pet).

Cochins are reported to be very friendly birds, but not good egg layers.

My Red Sexlinks/Gold Sexlinks have been friendly birds and are excellent egg layers. My Welsummers, not so much so (more stand offish), and good but not excellent layers.

My Barred Rocks are very curious, and friendlier, but almost annoying in that they will peck your pant legs (I have had a number from separate sources exhibit that trait).

Black Stars/Black Sexlinks are also friendly and docile, good egg layers, and will go broody (mine have).

Leghorns and Rhode Island Reds are not my favorites...my experience with them is they were flighty and noisy.

New Hampshires tend to be very sweet. I gave mine away to my daughter (along with 4 others) as a wedding present. I will be getting more New Hampshires.

But the most important factor I've noticed is hand raising them in small groups (less than 6) if you want them pet like. They tend to bond with you rather than just as a flock together.

Lady of McCamley

Last edited: Feb 8, 2014

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by