Chick illness mystery continues…

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Noobchick, Jun 23, 2011.

1. Noobchick

Noobchick Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2011
    Creedmoor, NC
    Quick summary for those who havent seen my other posts:

I have six 6week old chicks who have lost weight. I think its been gradual over the course of the last two weeks.

Two weeks ago I gave them Nutri drench. Did that for 3 days then stopped because they were looking perkier. After that theyve been having lots of dark brown loose poops. No blood, no worms.

Ive given them egg yolk and yogurt, apple cider vinegar in their water, then yesterday started a de-worming medicine in their water.

Yesterday I also took a poop sample to the vet for testing-- and the results were all NEGATIVE! neg for cocci, for worms, for all parasites.

What the heck is going on?????

Edited to add: this dark brown poop has been going on for the entire two weeks theyve been off the Nutridrench.

Last edited: Jun 23, 2011
  2. Nicole01

Nicole01 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 28, 2011
    MN
    I'd treat with vitamins then. The vitamins work wonders!

3. StormyMoon

StormyMoon Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2010
    Alvarado, TX
    isn't brown poop normal when they are kept inside a brooder? and can go off and on between firm to watery off n on.........especially when its hot and they drink to much water they will get the squirts.

To me sounds like your chickens are normal.

4. Scottingitup

Scottingitup Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 18, 2010
    Crestview, FL
    there was an article posted in the feeding your flock section that mentioned e-coli with dark brown squishy poo.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by