1. Come check out hundreds of awesome coop pages (and a few that need suggestions) in our 2018 Coop Rating Project!

chick imprinted to my hand

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by coolchickens, Aug 2, 2010.

1. I found an egg left over from a broody that it appears a hen pecked at it, half the shell was missing but the membrane was intact & drying. I opened it for curiosity and found a fully developed chick and it started breathing so I brought it in & put it under a 60 wt bulb. This AM it was alive and standing & peeping. Now it has bonded to my hand but I want to put it under another broody with 2 chicks 2 days old tonight. Do you think that will work? It still is very wobbly on its legs but is eating & drinking. It wants my hand in the box all the time to be close to. Don't know if it will bond with a hen now. What does anyone think out there? Thanks:idunno

2. KingSpeck

KingSpeck In the Brooder

Nov 10, 2009
    I would definately give it a try. I've had a lot of luck slipping chicks under broodies. I usually put them under as soon as it gets really dark out that way they have all night to peep and cluck to each other. Just make sure you get up early to see if it's working out so the chick doesn't get hurt if the broody doesn't take to it. Good luck!

3. Thank you. I put it under at first dark and mama pushed it under her as it just stood there peeping. Got up at first light and mama just left the nest with the new chick in tow and her other two. Looks like they have completely bonded! I am SO glad as I didn't want to raise one baby all by itself. Now I can't even tell which one it was I put under her! ha

4. saylernsaxonsmom

saylernsaxonsmom In the Brooder

Jul 27, 2010
    Petersburg
    What a happy story...I'm so glad it worked out!

Good luck!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by