1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Chick in air sac..this ok?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Hangin Wit My Peeps, Aug 17, 2008.

1. Hangin Wit My Peeps

Hangin Wit My Peeps AutumnBreezeChickens.com

I have a egg about to hatch and when I candled yesterday the chick's head was 1/2 way into the air sac...tonight it's head is fully in the air sac. Is this ok...It's still moving around and alive. It's day 21 tomorrow. I have never candled on day 20 before so I'm not sure if this is normal or not.

2. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

Yes...that's where it's supposed to be, but you really shouldn't be opening the bator and messing up your temps and humidity at this point in time!!

3. Hangin Wit My Peeps

Hangin Wit My Peeps AutumnBreezeChickens.com

The humidity only went down to 60 % and it was VERY hot in the house so the temps stayed up there too [​IMG] I was mixed up on hatch dates and thought he was a day over hatch and so I candled to see if he was still alive. He hasn't pipped yet. I will be sure to keep it closed till he hatches. [​IMG] That IS so hard tho! Glad to hear that is normal [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by