Chick in carton pipped at bottom. Help.

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Alas, Apr 9, 2011.

1. Alas

Alas Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2011
    Covington, LA
    One of my chicks pipped towards the bottom of the shell. Its in a carton and the pip is right inside the rim of the carton. I dont know if it'll have room to get out. Should I move it or anything?

2. koakritters

koakritters Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 27, 2011
    Petaluma
    i had one do that this morning, left it there all day and nothing at all. i just went in and grabbed it real quick and it's still moving and breathing so i put it down on its side. idk if i helped or hurt it, but i figure its got a better chance at living if it's on its side instead of trying to get out pressing against the carton!

3. Alas

Mar 12, 2011
    Covington, LA
    I did the same. Dont think the chick made it though. It hasnt moved since it pipped.

4. koakritters

koakritters Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 27, 2011
    Petaluma
    i just checked mine an it's hatching! don't give up hope yet!!! i'll be up all night at this rate, every time i try to go to bed another hatches, just had 2 hatch within minutes of each other and a couple hours ago 2 right next to each other popped out at the exact same time! lol. who needs sleep, right?

5. Alas

Mar 12, 2011
    Covington, LA
    I only have 10 eggs since its my first hatch and I didnt want to screw up too many if it didnt work out. I have 4 pips: 1 pipped at 3:30pm and decided to wait til bedtime before it did anything else, the rest pipped around 11pm and havent done anything since. The one that pipped at 3:30 is chirping its head off. The egg looks like 3 pips in a line and now its just moving around. I just fixed coffee because it looks like I'll be up. Cant help but watch LOL.

6. snazzyboots

snazzyboots Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 3, 2011
    baltimore
    i had a couple that did that and i did move them and ended up helping them hatch since they were shrink wrapped. they are doing fine now. not sure why they did pip at the bottom?

7. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

Eggs are supposed to pip on the middle of the sides. Pip to hatch is 6-48hours.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by