Chick in danger! Please Help!

Me&Chooks

In the Brooder
10 Years
Mar 18, 2009
IOM
Well first off thanks for looking at this post!
Long story short had a nightmare of a hatch with 4 chick eggs, only one survied hatching after we changed it mother (We use broody hens, not incubators), as the last mother was a complete and utter mental/cannibal and killed and almost ate the other 3 )': Well the remaning chick hatched quite well under a new non-cannibal hen and everything was going fine but when i checked an hour or so later after I saw its body was forcing its way out of the egg, so I left it for a bit. Later It was flopping about still a bit wet as usaul but it had this ball of yolk attacted to its "bellybutton" and unfortunately it broke..
Needless to say ive been on these forums all morning and all cases of this mostly end in tragedy but now this is my situation. The mother has abandoned it as she thought it was dead because believe me the state i found it in it looked stone dead. But then as I was going over to show my mum it hadn't survied it mouth opened and gasped for air and it continued to do this for an hour or two literally taking a deep breath every 15 seconds or so!
We were trying to muster up the courage to cull it as it was unconcious, limb body and there was blood all over its vent area, but we were praying for it die on its own. However my Dad could cull when he comes home this evening as he is more hard hearted than us..
Anyway its breathing suddenly went to quick gasps then slowly to normal breathing and whenever i touched it (to clean its vent are and put some pressure on an exposing hole where the cord and yolk sac had been) its body would move and as if it was trying to kick me off. Then after that it began chirping then slowly it began gaining better control of itself, only slightly.
At this moment in time it is a small guinea-pig cage with paper towels on the floor. It is sort of sitting of its legs but its body is very weak, its eyes are closed but when a loud or noise of it is disturbed its eyes flicker open then shut again.
Oh for the bleeding that would NOT stop I put a load of flour on the wound then fairly tightly put a plaster over it. At first the plaster fell off from the blood but eventually it became clotty and now it is nice and clean and I think the wound has stopped for now as I re-did the flour and plaster.
Now I have a load of options and I really need advice..
The chick could drop dead at any time but for now it is alive and dosent appear to be in pain anymore, I hope. The chick is also very noisy, always a good sign but is just so weak everywhere else.
It is in my conservatory because it is very hot in there, we do not have an incubator and it goes very cold in there and everywhere in the house actually, at night! Anyone know how to make a quick brooder to keep it warm at night?
Do you think its lost too much blood? As it can't balance itself and isnt even opening it eyes apart from a few moments.
Anything you recmmoned I should do?
And finally just to assure you all I will not let it suffer at least not for long, I will cull if nessacary but I wont lie and say im not encouraged by the fact it actually made a remarkable recovery from the state i first found it in!

Sorry for the long post, any advice is welcomed!!!
Thanks.
smile.png

Last edited:
As long as its not in pain i would try to get it to eat and drink, Maybe some egg and some sugar water on the beak thats most i can think of for now but hope your baby makes it.

find a box and put paper towels in the bottom, not shaving because they will stick to the wound. do you have a heat lamp? if not get a 100 watt light bulb and a light of some kind that you can put over the box. find a therometer, because you want the brooder at 95* are you sure this was the yolk sac. if so I really don't think the chick has much of a chance because thats what they live off of for a few days. but since it's trying then do like the other poster said and try giving it a little sugar water dribbled on it's beak, don't try to force it down it's throat because it could go into it's lungs. you can also try to dip it's beak into the water. maybe get your dad to stop by TSC and pick up something called save a chick, you mix it in their water. So sorry this has happened and hoping the best for this little one..

It could survive if you keep it in a clean environment, and hang a light bulb over it, just like you would a brooder. I would feed it some vitams/electrolites in the drinking water.....Give it some with a dropper.....Chop up a hard boiled egg yolk very finely, and mix a ibt of water or milk into it, making a paste, and feed it some of that......

I have an incubator and I will put a chick with a problem in there......in a quiet, darker place for it to just rest and incubate further......I'ad had alot of success doing that......

Good luck!

Thanks everyone for your posts!
I took all your advice and it has improved since my first post, when it hears me walk through the door or my voice it all hobbles toward the sound but still its eyes are not opening unless it is somewhat startled.
I used a small syringe and used some sugar water and also tried diluted yogurt, Luckily i just had to put it right next to it beak, squirt a little and it would sip it and then do the usaul drinking habit (putting head back then doing the quick close and open mouth thing, you know when the hens drink they do this lol)
So it has some food and water in it, and im pretty sure it was the yolk sac also as i have seen another post today with a picture that looked exactly like what it had. It also hatched out stangely as I have watched very carefully as one can when the egg is under a hen, instead of zipping the top like usual the egg literally shattered all around it and was left with a membrane, I believe the hen may of tried to "help" it as it had been 26hours+ when I saw this and which is why it still had the yolk sac
hmm.png

Also @Miss Lydia, unfornately where I come from Tsc does not exsist and there is literally nothing to do with medication and hens around here apart from cheap wormers and mite medication, and I mean cheap as in bad quality. (We buy ours online)
Oh, also currently making a incubator for it to sleep in a night, Using a100 wat light bulb Miss Lydia suggested!
Thanks for all your help, I'll keep you posted on its condition and I'll hopefully take some pictures soon
smile.png

Me&Chooks :

Thanks everyone for your posts!
I took all your advice and it has improved since my first post, when it hears me walk through the door or my voice it all hobbles toward the sound but still its eyes are not opening unless it is somewhat startled.
I used a small syringe and used some sugar water and also tried diluted yogurt, Luckily i just had to put it right next to it beak, squirt a little and it would sip it and then do the usaul drinking habit (putting head back then doing the quick close and open mouth thing, you know when the hens drink they do this lol)
So it has some food and water in it, and im pretty sure it was the yolk sac also as i have seen another post today with a picture that looked exactly like what it had. It also hatched out stangely as I have watched very carefully as one can when the egg is under a hen, instead of zipping the top like usual the egg literally shattered all around it and was left with a membrane, I believe the hen may of tried to "help" it as it had been 26hours+ when I saw this and which is why it still had the yolk sac
hmm.png

Also @Miss Lydia, unfornately where I come from Tsc does not exsist and there is literally nothing to do with medication and hens around here apart from cheap wormers and mite medication, and I mean cheap as in bad quality. (We buy ours online)
Oh, also currently making a incubator for it to sleep in a night, Using a100 wat light bulb Miss Lydia suggested!
Thanks for all your help, I'll keep you posted on its condition and I'll hopefully take some pictures soon
smile.png

Hope good news continues!
thumbsup.gif

Update:

The chick is now doing pretty good! "touch wood"
It was pretty much the same until we put it in a box with a lamp over it and suddenly its tired eyes shot open and it began hobbling around the box, and also screaming for me to put my hand in to "reassure" it.
Its becoming stronger but still hobbles but I think the plaster I have used to cover the wound is not helping, I will see to that tomorrow when the wound would of scabbed over more. It is now night for me and I have had to of left it in its new brooder downstairs and before I did I gave it a good doze of sugar water with a syringe although it didnt seem to need it that much, in a syringe that is, and now I just have to hope it makes it through the night!
Thank you all for your advice so far,
and heres to hoping it survies the night!
fl.gif

Well it lived through the night!
And had quite a few normal looking feces over night and is much stronger now.
I have had to of change the plaster that was covering the slit when the umbrical cord was but now this morning it almost looking like a human belly button, the outy kind!
I'm not sure if thats a good thing but there wasnt much blood coming off it even when pressed with a paper towel. And because the chick seemed to struggle to walk because of the plaster making it top heavy we have carefully used a spray on plaster and it seemed to work as it began going hard and scabby. Now I just hope that heals as im sure if it does this little chick really stands a chance
fl.gif

So was wondering if anyone could advise on how to help it heal if there is any other way from what I've already done.
Thanks!

SO glad your chick made it! Seems like you are doing a great job...the big thing is to keep it's area nice and clean
big_smile.png
Does it have a buddy? I had a crazy hen also and it ate all but two of it's chicks
sad.png
SO sad. Hope your baby makes it!

Back
Top Bottom