Chick in incubator with one eye shut all the time?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by sweeterdeeter42, May 9, 2011.

1. sweeterdeeter42

sweeterdeeter42 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 10, 2011
    Northern Illinois
    I have a 29 hour old chick that is still in the incubator and one of its eyes is always shut. I didnt notice it yesterday, so it may have been open yesterday. Did it get dried shut from egg goo? Any ideas? Im not taking it out yet because its back is still not dry. It is the only egg that hatched.

2. alicefelldown

alicefelldown Looking for a broody

Aug 18, 2008
    What day are you on? When I incubate, my look down is 5 days minimum to make sure I give all eggs a fair shot at hatching. Depending on the temps during normal incubation, the hatch time can be off by a few hours or even a day.

Did any other eggs pip/zip? Can you see if any exposed membrane is yellow / dry looking? It should be soft and white.

3. sweeterdeeter42

sweeterdeeter42 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 10, 2011
    Northern Illinois
    No, it is fully out and running around. Its eye is just shut.

4. keesmom

keesmom Overrun With Chickens

Jul 28, 2008
    MA
    Quote:After 29 hours it's definitely dry so take it out and look at the eye. I know some of my newly hatched will toddle around with both eyes shut.

5. AccentOnHakes

AccentOnHakes Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 2, 2009
    Take a wet paper towel and gently wipe its eye. There may be something gluing it shut.

6. CoyoteMagic

CoyoteMagic RIP ?-2014

use a warm wet papertowel to wipe the eye. I had one from TSC that had a bit of eggshell and gunk stuck to it's eye. I had to clean it every day for about a week and thought for awhile she was blind in that eye. She's doing fine now.

Last edited: May 10, 2011
    1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by