Chick in shock

korlia

Chirping
6 Years
Sep 11, 2013
South Africa
I am heartbroken writing this. I am quite new to chicken keeping but we have a few bantam hens as pets. I keep them in a chicken tractor because of my dogs. In the afternoon I close all of my dogs in at the back of my hard and let the chickens free range. We have one banfam chick whom would have been 8 weeks old tomorrow.

Someone (I think the housekeeper) left the gate open and one of my dogs came to the front. I was in the house and heard the chick's hysterical chirps, just to see him being chased by one of my dogs. I caught my dog and closed him in the back again. He didn't get a hold of the chick and I left it. Later this afternoon I called my chickens for their mealworm treats and the chick did not show up. We reared him from 2 weeks old after his mother died from some form of respiratory disease. I went looking for him and found him dead. I am so so sad. I saw a drop or two of blood on his back, it seems that a few feathers were plucked, but that was it.

Could he have died from shock? I realy cant see any other bruising or anything. I guess I want to know what to do if something like this happens again in the future. What to do and how to treat for shock/stress.

We are all so sad. He slept in the room together with my son of 6 years old. We all mis him terribly. If only I did more....

This happened to one of my barred rocks... Unless u want to cut the poor thing open and preform a full autopsy there's no way to know what happened internally. Most likely your chick died from shock. Since you don't know exactly what happened to it all you can do is keep the doggies separate to prevent it from happening again. If you do have this happen again try to calm the chick down and put it with another group if chicks and cover its head with a small rag(don't suffocate it!). You can also put it with a warm stuffed animal and dip its beak in a electrolytes. I'm so sorry for your loss. If you are looking for another chick for your son my silkie bantams are great with my kids!

Last edited:
Thanks Fluffypuff. We are staying in SA, so unless you are near it won't be an option... :(

I guess what I want to know is what. I should have near if I have to treat some of my birds for shock in the future?

You mean SA as in San Antonio? That's where I live! Anyways all u need to keep with you is a small stuffed animal and a very small rag along with water to mix with the electrolyte packets you can buy at your local feed store or online. Hope this helps!
P.S my last post had a mistake I don't have kids I meant THE kids not MY kids!

Ok thanks! I will do that and keep it near. No. Sorry!! SA as in South Africa.... It might me a bit to far I think ;-)

Thanks Fluffypuff. We are staying in SA, so unless you are near it won't be an option...
sad.png

I guess what I want to know is what. I should have near if I have to treat some of my birds for shock in the future?
For shock,keep them warm/quiet/calm and give electrolytes.

My condolences on the passing of your chick,always heartbreaking when a beloved pet dies.

Your chick may have died from shock,as shock can kill,but chick could also have had an internal injury.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom