chick in the coop

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by coachwife2004, Feb 3, 2009.

1. coachwife2004

coachwife2004 Out Of The Brooder

Dec 29, 2008
    Texas
    ok so I know you are suppose to keep the chicks in the house until they have feathers, would I be a bad chicky mom if I took the brooder and heat lamp to my to my totally enclosed coop??? the hubby is having a fit at the thought of baby chicks in lroom [​IMG]

2. omelette'smom

omelette'smom Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 9, 2008
    New Hampshire
    Okay, now you have me curious why that would be a bad thing! I guess if you check on them often no one will judge you!?[​IMG]

3. katrinag

katrinag Chillin' With My Peeps

If you can provide them with what they need out there I would say go for it. You are not a bad chicken mommy at all.

4. henjoy

henjoy Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 13, 2007
    As long as they are safe from predators, have heat, food and water they should be fine the brooder in your coop. We have raised many chicks in a wire dog crate in a draft free area of our garage. They have all done well. Just check on them frequently at first to be sure they are eating, drinking and comfortable. It sure beats having all of that dust and down in the house. I don't think my DH would be happy about chicks in the LR either.

5. minna

minna Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 15, 2008
    Burnsville, MS
    I know a lot of ppl only have a few chickens and they do keep the babies and sometimes adults in the house. But, I promise you, you are not "suppose to" keep them in the house. You can, but it is no where near necessary. My brooder is currently in the barn. It's not even completely enclosed, but they are against the wall and it is fairly draft free. As long as you keep the temp up and keep the drafts off, they will be fine. And yes, make sure the coop and brooder are predator proof. You are not a bad chicky mommy. Your chickens will be fine and you won't have to listen to your hubby complain [​IMG].

6. HappyHatch'en

HappyHatch'en Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 31, 2009
    GEORGIA
    I'd keep them in the house, starting a close relationship with them....besides I share my bed with 2 female boxer puppies and my wife of 34 yrs. Good Luck and God Bless

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by