CHICK INCUBATION QUESTION

ChickenNugget123

In the Brooder
Jul 13, 2019
I had 5 eggs in an incubator this morning that had been fertilized and laid by our older chickens. Today is day 20 and this morning we had a pip and 5 hours later are first chick was completely out of it's egg. I heard some soft peeping coming from the other eggs but I didn't see any pips yet. This is my first time incubating eggs so I still have a lot to learn but I do know that during "lockdown" it needs to remain at the correct temperature and you should not open the incubator. Around two hours after are first chick hatched our power went out and I panicked. My car has outlets so I figured I should move them to my car so that they can remain warm but while I was moving them one of the eggs rolled a little bit. I'm assuming that that is ok as I noticed that after the first chick hatched it bumped a few of the eggs around. What I am more concerned about is that the temperature in the incubator stopped significantly in the period of time where it wasn't plugged in. Having raised store bought chicks in the past I know that they need to be kept in very warm conditions so I opened the incubator and grabbed the chick and stuck it in my brooder. I know that it was too early because she wasn't completely dry but it has been a few hours and she has eaten and drank and is completely fine now. I am just extremely concerned that because the temperature dropped so suddenly and because I heard the peeps earlier today and not now others are dead. If anyone has any wise words of what I can do or what has happened I would greatly appreciate it!

I had 5 eggs in an incubator this morning that had been fertilized and laid by our older chickens. Today is day 20 and this morning we had a pip and 5 hours later are first chick was completely out of it's egg. I heard some soft peeping coming from the other eggs but I didn't see any pips yet. This is my first time incubating eggs so I still have a lot to learn but I do know that during "lockdown" it needs to remain at the correct temperature and you should not open the incubator. Around two hours after are first chick hatched our power went out and I panicked. My car has outlets so I figured I should move them to my car so that they can remain warm but while I was moving them one of the eggs rolled a little bit. I'm assuming that that is ok as I noticed that after the first chick hatched it bumped a few of the eggs around. What I am more concerned about is that the temperature in the incubator stopped significantly in the period of time where it wasn't plugged in. Having raised store bought chicks in the past I know that they need to be kept in very warm conditions so I opened the incubator and grabbed the chick and stuck it in my brooder. I know that it was too early because she wasn't completely dry but it has been a few hours and she has eaten and drank and is completely fine now. I am just extremely concerned that because the temperature dropped so suddenly and because I heard the peeps earlier today and not now others are dead. If anyone has any wise words of what I can do or what has happened I would greatly appreciate it!
make sure humidity is above 50% and work on getting eggs warm again. think of the incubator as a chicken real quick. some chickens leave to get food and water and come back. but not for a really long time. they can last a little but not for long

I am so pleased to say that this morning we had another baby chick in the incubator! The first one is doing great as well! :)

Back
Top Bottom