chick injured, feathers wrapped around neck and wing

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by TweeTea, Dec 16, 2012.

1. TweeTea

TweeTea Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 11, 2012
    Canberra, Australia
    [​IMG][​IMG]

[​IMG]

dislocated wing? i am not sure if her wing is sore or dislocated she became entangled in the breast feathers of her mum and i had to pull the feathers out of the mum hen to even start releasing the chick then had to cut the feathers from around her neck and wing.

When i came out the chick was hanging from the hens chest.

The chick is letting one wing hang and i am unsure if there is anything i can do?

Last edited: Dec 16, 2012
  2. lucyharper123

lucyharper123 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 16, 2012
    it maybe broken, i would take it to the vet or put a bandage around the chick but not too tight !

3. TweeTea

Dec 11, 2012
    Canberra, Australia
    I am hesitant to bandage it, if it is dislocated it will cause more pain.

I have had birds with dislocated legs before and had to gently pull the leg for it to pop back in place. Problem is i don't want to pull on the wing if it is broken :S

It might be one for the local vet but I don't have a car to get to them during working hours. I might wait for a little while and see? Maybe try getting her o the vet early tomorrow morning.

4. lucyharper123

lucyharper123 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 16, 2012
    well if it is dislocated then really you should get it to a vet as the bone may mend itself to where it is not ment to be:/

5. TweeTea

Dec 11, 2012
    Canberra, Australia
    yea, the longer it stays like that the worse it will be :(

6. TweeTea

Dec 11, 2012
    Canberra, Australia
    The vet said it was just soft tissue damage, no break sprain or dislocation.

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by