Chick injury

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by arabbie1, Jun 27, 2016.

1. arabbie1

arabbie1 Out Of The Brooder

Nov 1, 2014
    Went out this morning to let my 3 mo olds out in their run. All but 1 able to shoot like normal out of their baby pen in the big coop. The last girl/boy seemed to be held back by what I realized was a part of the bailing twine I had to use to tie up their feed container. The twine was wrapped around her tongue! Imagine a strand of dental floss wrapped around her tongue. Well after removing this twine ( won't go into detail, just didn't cut her tongue. ) She was amazingly calm through the ordeal. She went right to the water, appeared to have no difficulty. Had a discussion with the top hen of my flock through hardware cloth, and appears to be eating with just a tad bit of difficulty. Giving them cold watermelon hoping that will help with swelling I'm sure she has. What else can I do? Antibiotics?

2. Chickensfan

Chickensfan Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 26, 2016
    California!
    It may just heal on it's own. But i suggest you go to the vet. Make sure to give that chick your love and attention.

3. arabbie1

arabbie1 Out Of The Brooder

Nov 1, 2014
    Thank you for your response. If I had an avian vet around, I would heed your advice. The only thing I have is an equine vet whose wife has chickens & he is re-learning as he goes. I have seen my pullet ( hope, hope) eating with ease now. I think I'll call my equine vet & beg & plead with him to see my pullet (like saying it enough is going to make it so). And yes, she and all the others get just about all my love & attention. [​IMG] I enjoy them so much.

4. Chickensfan

Chickensfan Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 26, 2016
    California!
    wonderful! Good luck with your sweet hens and roos!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by