Chick integration, ...uneasy truce finally

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by thndrdancr, Sep 10, 2007.

1. thndrdancr

thndrdancr Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2007
    Belleville, Kansas
    Ok, since I had fairly new box (last nite) for Lily, I thot this morning might be a good time to try to put them together. Also able to supervise this mornin as I have free time.

So first 1/2 hour went like this. Lil silkie showgirl cowering while Lily pecked at her. Lil learns very quickly, that Mom saying no, after a peck, is quickly followed by a very light tap on the head. Hmmm, ok, after 10 minutes she learned not to Kill the little one while Mom is around. [​IMG] So, she decides to take a nap. Lil is really NOT the bully, she just doesnt care for this strange looking alien invading her territory. So..she tries to take a nap.... Now, lil showgirl decides to get even. She is small, and scared, but if her opponent is down, boy she is a terror. She does NOT quickly learn that pecking Lily's eyes and toes are NOT acceptable while she is sleepin an mom is watching. Only thing that deterrs her is when I actually put the finger above her head, then she backs off. I am thinking of naming her Cujo or Terror! [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 10, 2007
  2. thndrdancr

Mar 30, 2007
    Belleville, Kansas
    The next 1/2 hour. Still not getting along...Lily wont fight back now, and but she acts unhappy, head down in wary position. Hmm, I finally told Lily to go ahead and kill the lil terror. [​IMG]

3. thndrdancr

Mar 30, 2007
    Belleville, Kansas
    Ok, the next 1/2 hour. Gave them some food. Lily ran over to it, and then guarded it, while eating, and wouldnt let the lil one eat. Sheesh, these guys are 6 days and 4 days, you wouldnt think they would be such lil terrors.

So finally, after crying a bit, the lil one gets up enough courage and also starts eating and chirping happily.

That lasted all of 5 minutes. I went into the kitchen for a few minutes, came back to them circling and pecking each other again. (Good heavens, isnt 2 hours like a year in people life?) [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 10, 2007
  4. 2mnypets

2mnypets Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2007
    Galesburg, IL.
    LOL seems like it's an eternity at times. I feel your pain. Best of luck to you.

5. thndrdancr

Mar 30, 2007
    Belleville, Kansas
    LOL It is crazy, isnt it?

I finally sat at computer, can still watch but not right on top of them. So, what do they do? They go to the far corner where I cant see them. I peered in, there they are circling and picking on each other again...ARGHHH! BUT they were smart enuff to do it out of momma's line of vision! [​IMG]

A few minutes later...Lily is eating and not letting the runt eat. Cujo is in the standing in the corner, looking like she wants to be anywhere but where she is...wants to eat but afraid. Lily tried to fly out at the worst of it all a few minutes earlier.
    Lily is also doing somethin odd tho, she is billing out food and making a general mess of things, which she normally doesnt do. The lil one has hard time eating big pieces, so I wonder if she is instinctually trying to help? Even tho she isnt letting her eat with her...

6. thndrdancr

Mar 30, 2007
    Belleville, Kansas
    ok, now that I have caught up to date, the last hour went like this...standing in separate corners for the longest time...look like prizefighters... [​IMG]

I think they finally tired themselves out, Lily is NOW trying to sleep, and the little one is huddled up against her, pecking at her feet, her wings, her head, but Lily just is sleeping thru it, resigned I guess... [​IMG] But they ARE right next to each other huddling. The lil one is not letting Lily sleep, she is pecking at everything, but I see progress when they cuddle with each other. This is the first time they have done that. Almost into the third hour before this happened. I THINK they may be ok together...whew...yippeeee. [​IMG]

7. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

WooHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! Finally, near peace on the playground. They'll be fine, sounds like. After all, they only have each other, even if they aren't exactly well-matched, LOL.

8. thndrdancr

Mar 30, 2007
    Belleville, Kansas
    Well, they dont exactly LIKE each other yet, for sure. Its not going all that well, poor Lily just puts up with it, she reminds me of one of those coonhound dogs that tries to sleep and has babies crawling all over and mauling it.
    This silly lil showgirl pecks and pecks at her. She has not STOPPED pecking, but now at least, its more of an inquisitive peck, like..."how come your head has this white spot..peck" and "why do you have white on the tips of your wings, lemme pull that off for you, I just KNOW it shouldnt be there..peck an Yannnnnk"....I feed bad cuz Lily learned not to peck on the lil one right away, so now she behaves, while the silkiex is a dunce and still hasnt got that peck equals head tap. So when I am not around......
    Every once in a while, Lily tries to help the silkiex try to get those funny lookin feathers off her feet.

The lil one either really loves to peck at everything, I mean more than a normal chick, or she IS a bully.
    Shall I call her Ghengis Khan, Attila, or somethin else? Gimme some ideas here. [​IMG]

9. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Gee, how about "Elvira, Mistress of the Dark", LOL? Remember her?

10. thndrdancr

Mar 30, 2007
    Belleville, Kansas
    Oh yes, Cyn... I remember Elvira. (We are really dating ourselves here!)

She wont let Lily sleep, she has that head twitching thing goin on now becuz she ate a feather fluff. Now Lily is so used to being pecked on, when the lil one huddles next to her and touches her, Lily flinches. Makes me feel bad.

Lily has tried to escape a few more times, every time she sees me peer in, she tries to fly out. I need to get somethin for her to roost on, she loves and wants to be up high. AND I cant believe how much Lily eats!!!! She is a real piglet. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by