Chick integration with broody and her chicks

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by bloom chicks, Mar 1, 2012.

1. bloom chicks

bloom chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 6, 2011
    FL
    I bought 2 week old chicks today and put them in with my broody hen with her 2 week old chicks. Mama seems to be okay with them. I let her look at them and forage with them right before bed and she seemed okay with most of them except the speckled sussex chick. The others were brahama, and easter eggers. The chicks seem to take to her as well. They are all sleeping with her now. I was just curious as to why she seems to not like this one chick. I know I will be up before the sun to make sure everyone is okay..... Any advice or input would greatly be appreciated very much. This is my 1st time doing this. I have only hatched out my own eggs with a broody hen........

2. bloom chicks

Jun 6, 2011
    FL
    I just checked on the babies and mama and everyone seems to be ok so far. They are all snuggled up together. Do you think that they will be okay or will I still need to be up before dawn tomorrow?

3. 7&8

7&8 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2010
    Maine
    [​IMG] I have been anxious over poultry behavior before, so I can relate. If the broody/ hen ended the day well with the chicks, she ought to have a reasonable start with them on the following day. But, then again, she might not. If you're anxious and want to police the situation, wake up early. I think poultry have a different definition of "dawn" than people. Hope it goes well.

4. FuzzyButtsFarm

FuzzyButtsFarm Rest in Peace 1950-2013

She will probably be OK with them. Since they are all snuggled up now. In the morning she won't remember how many she had. It's a good thing chickens can't count. LOL

5. bloom chicks

Jun 6, 2011
    FL
    Thank you guys so much. I just want to make sure she is still okay with them in the morning. It only seem to be the one chick she didn't like but we put it under and she didn't have a problem with it. Her chicks don't seem to mind the new comers either... I am hoping for a happy ending...... Because I really want her to take care of them. I am all about the broody mama's. [​IMG]

6. bloom chicks

Jun 6, 2011
    FL
    I noticed your in FL and have BO as well do you sell hatching eggs?

7. FuzzyButtsFarm

FuzzyButtsFarm Rest in Peace 1950-2013

Yes I do on request. I have a mixed flock at this time. If someone wants pure BO eggs I have a breeding pen to put the hens in until I get the requested number of eggs which I handle differently than my eating eggs. I also have White Rock, Brown Leghorn and Black Australop chicks that will go into seperate breeding pens when old enough.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by