Chick introduction with a hose

hopp2it

In the Brooder
7 Years
Jul 10, 2012
No, I didn't have to use the hose but I kept it nearby to help defend the 3 seven week old chicks I introduced to my flock of 5 one year old hens. The chicks kept trying to go into the run but we kept corralling them out to be in the pen with the big girls. Two of the older hens took a peck at them a couple of times but nothing crazy. A few times they intermingled very closely and no one did anything. I'm hoping a week of this and maybe we can leave them all together. They chicks are making a total mess out of my shed!! Am I correct in assuming if there was going to be any problems it would happen fairly soon into the introduction?

7 weeks is pretty small. Best to introduce like numbers and like sizes.
If you have a problem, put the hens in the pullet shed and the pullets in the coop and every day add one hen back to the coop starting with the most docile.

I can't put the hens in the shed. There isn't enough room for them. I think I'm going to keep trying as I have and see what happens.

We move new birds from the brooder to the coop at 6 weeks of age and then 2 weeks isolated; Yet, they can get acquainted with the flock through fencing. Feed treats when they are all introduced and hope for the best. A pecking order will need to be worked out before they all know their place in the flock.

I had the pullets and the hens in the outside pen all together since 10am this morning. There was very little pecking from the older hens. They all seemed to stay in 2 separate flocks more than anything but did often come in close contact with no real problems. We're going to see how roosting goes tonight to potentially leave the little girls in with the hens.

I don't know if we've just been lucky or just lucky so far. The pullets have spent the last 2 nights in the coop with the hens and aside from a little pecking (no blood, wounds of any kind) things have been relatively calm. The hens do not care for the heat lamp being on at night so we tried to create a much warmer spot for just the pullets and it seems everyone slept well last night. As soon as the outside door opened, the hens went out and the pullets got some quiet time in the run.

It has been nearly a week and the pullets and hens have all be coexisting in the coop peacefully. No wounds, no blood, not major bickering that we can find. I tossed out some seed and mealworms as a treat and all of them came for a peck without any fighting. I'm so glad this worked out smoothly!!

Back
Top Bottom