Chick is 7 hours old and chirping loudly

ckuehn

Songster
Jul 5, 2022
Southeast North Dakota
One little bantam egg hatched today out of three eggs (more may be coming).It is 7 hours old and chirping loudly. Is there something wrong? 95 degrees in the incubator. I was told to keep it in there 24 hours.

You don't have to keep it in there for 24 hours. When he's dry to the touch and he's up and active, he can be moved to the brooder. See how he reacts to your brooder heat. What are you using for heat?

One little bantam egg hatched today out of three eggs (more may be coming).It is 7 hours old and chirping loudly. Is there something wrong? 95 degrees in the incubator. I was told to keep it in there 24 hours.
The chick is fine. Like @BarnyardChaos said, you don't need to keep them in there for 24 hours. Once their dry take them out.
But, I may be a tad bit cool in there for them. (4° to cool)

You don't have to keep it in there for 24 hours. When he's dry to the touch and he's up and active, he can be moved to the brooder. See how he reacts to your brooder heat. What are you using for heat?
I will use a heat lamp in my bedroom for a while, while we are waiting on the others. He went 19 days but the other two eggs are appenzellers and should take 21. They looked viable at a 17 day candling. Will his chirping encourage them to pip?

I have three gauges now. It is 100 in the incubator. I will move him to the brooder soon, but he has stopped chirping and he seems kind of gunky.
Gunky doesn't matter. They always look terrible when first hatched. He'll fluff up just fine in a little while, in the brooder. He stopped chirping because he's warm enough now. :)

Back
Top Bottom