Chick is a runt?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by rgvchick, Sep 11, 2016.

1. rgvchick

rgvchick Out Of The Brooder

Jun 9, 2016
    Mercedes, TX
    Hi, all!

I have a chick that hasn't grown much. It hatched on July 1st along with another chick and the other chick is growing fine. I have read several forums on chicks not growing but I'd still like anyone's thoughts on my chick, The other concern I have is that the right side of her chest is larger than the left side. Other than the small size and the larger right side, the chick seems normal and healthy--it eats well, follows the sibling every where, and from what I have seen, its poop is normal. I've given it electrolytes and Nutridrench; and it is on medicated starter, but it is also free range so it eats everything else it can find. I've included some pics, but if more are needed, I'll be glad to oblige.(The third one shows the sibling so you can see the difference in size.) Any thoughts are welcome
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! Can you post some poop pictures?

-Kathy

3. rgvchick

Jun 9, 2016
    Mercedes, TX
    Here's a pic of its poop. Amazing what we do for our babies...I followed it around for about 30 minutes before it pooped...I wanted to provide a pic of "fresh" poop!
    [​IMG]

4. casportpony

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    That poop is not normal, and I suspect your chick has coccidiosis. Poop looks looks way too slimy, and it appears to have bloody tissue or bloody something. Can you get any amprolium (Corid, AmproMed, Amprol, etc) or a sulfa drug (Sulmet, Di-Methox, Albon, SMZ, etc)?

-Kathy

Last edited: Sep 12, 2016
  5. rgvchick

Jun 9, 2016
    Mercedes, TX
    Thank you so much for the information. I had looked at other posts (poop charts) that had pics of "normal" poop and I thought my chick's poop was similar to those. Glad I asked..I will get what you suggested ASAP.

6. casportpony

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    That poop chart is another one of my pet peeves, lol. It's just wrong! Your chick's poop is not even close to normal.

-Kathy

7. rgvchick

Jun 9, 2016
    Mercedes, TX
    Quick question--
    I was able to get the Corid 9.6% liquid solution, but it only has dosage for cattle. What would the dosage be for chickens?

8. rgvchick

Jun 9, 2016
    Mercedes, TX
    OOPS...disregard the previous question...I just saw the link on your reply

9. casportpony

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop

In addition to the medicated water, give the little chick one drop of the undiluted Corid orally once a day for 1-3 days. Please post more poop pictures tomorrow. :D

-Kathy

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by