1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Chick is always cold

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by jcatblum, Jun 22, 2011.

1. jcatblum

jcatblum Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 27, 2010
    Cement, OK
    Have a tiny bantam chick. She is about 10 days old. I thought she was about the same size as the others when she hatched, but now she is defiantly smaller. She is always getting under the other chicks to stay warm. She tries to get under their wings. She is feathering out fine but is always cold. The others are fine & never appear cool. Should I put a warmer bulb in, I switched to a smaller bulb a week ago since the others were getting hot.

2. Animalian

Animalian Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 18, 2011
    Australia
    I would put the warmer bulb in but make sure the chicks can move away from the heat if they need to for a few more days. Then try the smaller bulb again and see how she goes

3. CupOJoe42

CupOJoe42 CT Chicken Whisperer

Apr 11, 2011
    Chick snuggie??? Brinsea EcoGlow brooder? Sorry, not much help here. Would love to see pictures.

4. Animalian

Jun 18, 2011
    Australia
    yes! I love bantams! We must see some pictures of this tiny chilly chickie!

5. jcatblum

Oct 27, 2010
    Cement, OK
    Looked in & thought the chick was dead. Picked her up & she is still barley breathing. Her sister was almost twice her size so I just think she wasn't thriving. Never had a chick not grow but manage to feather in. Her wing feathers were longer than her body. I only noticed her being cold in the past 48 hours. And I had that bulb in for at least 5 days since it has been as high as 110 here. They were inside but with it being 110 out I was doing good to keep my house @ 80. I am keeping them in a hot water heater box with the lid on the box propped open about a foot high when I switched to the smaller bulb. I do t think She is dying do to her being cold. It is 90 in the box.

So sad only had 6 eggs & only 2 hatched. Pretty sure I should cull. Oh how sad. I a
    Using the photo bucket app on my phone & cant figure how to turn the pic!!!
    My 11 yr old DD is holding her so that tells you how small she is.
    [​IMG]

6. t_4_turtle

t_4_turtle Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2011
    [​IMG] so sorry.

7. jcatblum

Oct 27, 2010
    Cement, OK
    She is gone. She was much loved.

8. mallory2013

mallory2013 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 3, 2011
    Eastern CT
    [​IMG] I'm so sorry!

9. Nicole01

Nicole01 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 28, 2011
    MN
    I'm so sorry! How awful. [​IMG]

My bantam chick needed the heat lamp lowered as well. I actually had to warm her up in my hands because she was chilled to the bone and lowering the heat lamp Aline didn't work. I even put a log, slanted away from the heat on the brooder floor. The bantams need more heat then standard until they are mostly feathered. I don't know the exact temp, but it was pretty darn warm in the brooder. Again, I'm really sorry for the loss.[​IMG]

10. Animalian

Jun 18, 2011
    Australia
    poor little bugger [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by