Chick is driving me crazy!!

simpleliving

In the Brooder
10 Years
Mar 12, 2009
So, I have 4 chicks - one 3 week old, one 2 week old and two 1 week olds. One of the one week olds (a Speckled Sussex) chirps constantly most of the time, but especially at night. It is driving me crazy and I am not getting any sleep! They are in a rabbit cage in the living room in our small house so I hear every sound. She is chirping so loudly and I get up to check to see if I can figure out the problem but I can't. She has been doing this even more so the last 2 nights. The temp is about 88 - I dropped it down a few degrees today. They are all over the brooder all day so seem comfortable. As far as I can tell she is eating, drinking and pooping normally, although some of her poop has been a bit watery. She is very vocal all the time, but when I turn out all the lights in the house (except the heat lamp of course) and go to bed, she starts chirping really loudly. I don't know how much more I can take. Could something be wrong with her?

Thanks,

Holli

I have had a few like this, I put a small stuffed animal in the box and it seemed to help a bit. I ended up putting the box out in the sunroom so I didn't have to listen to it all the time. They are fine now so not sure why they acted like that. I would double check the temp. it might just be cold.

I had one that was hatched out about a month ago that chirped non-stop for two weeks. At night it was the worst. I too live in a small house and I had nowhere to else to put them and I believe I had no sleep for at least a week. I finally crashed from exhaustion. Nothing was the matter, she just had to chirp,LOUDLY. I did the stuffed animal thing and it did help some. Good luck and I hope you get some sleep soon!
hugs.gif

I put a feather duster in with mine, I read that on a post here and tried it. I was amazed at teh quiet. Its worth a shot.

Back
Top Bottom