1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Chick is driving me crazy!!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by simpleliving, Apr 1, 2009.

1. simpleliving

simpleliving Out Of The Brooder

Mar 12, 2009
    So, I have 4 chicks - one 3 week old, one 2 week old and two 1 week olds. One of the one week olds (a Speckled Sussex) chirps constantly most of the time, but especially at night. It is driving me crazy and I am not getting any sleep! They are in a rabbit cage in the living room in our small house so I hear every sound. She is chirping so loudly and I get up to check to see if I can figure out the problem but I can't. She has been doing this even more so the last 2 nights. The temp is about 88 - I dropped it down a few degrees today. They are all over the brooder all day so seem comfortable. As far as I can tell she is eating, drinking and pooping normally, although some of her poop has been a bit watery. She is very vocal all the time, but when I turn out all the lights in the house (except the heat lamp of course) and go to bed, she starts chirping really loudly. I don't know how much more I can take. Could something be wrong with her?

Thanks,

Holli

2. gpamela3499

gpamela3499 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 26, 2009
    Near San Fran Ca
    I had one like that too. Unfortunetly I came home a one day and it was a gonner. I really think mine had a neuro problem.

3. jnjross

jnjross Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 3, 2008
    edwards, ms
    try putting a towel or blanket over the cage , it calms mine

4. simpleliving

simpleliving Out Of The Brooder

Mar 12, 2009
    Thanks for your replies. gpamela3499 - what other symptoms did your chick have?

jnjross - I do put a towel over one half of the cage - not the other because the heat lamp is there. That really hepled the others, but not her.

Thanks,

Holli

5. SpeckledHills

SpeckledHills Chillin' With My Peeps

May 25, 2008
    Idaho/Utah
    It seems to help my current chicks feel more secure if I respond (when practical) if one starts alarm-level cheeping. I just peer into the brooder & talk soothingly for a minute. Perhaps completely erroneously, I think it's reassuring for them to know they can get a response and assistance from someone higher up the ladder if needed, and they then are calmer in general.

Last edited: Apr 1, 2009
  6. gpamela3499

gpamela3499 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 26, 2009
    Near San Fran Ca
    No other symptoms The other chicks started to walk all over it sometimes and sometime peak it. I did cover them up lightly with a towel every night but it just peeped all night. I was peeping when I left for work then when I got home it was just laying there cold.

7. SpeckledHills

SpeckledHills Chillin' With My Peeps

May 25, 2008
    Idaho/Utah
    Do you mean it died?

8. chookchick

chookchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 18, 2008
    Olympia WA
    Maybe you could try sticking a feather duster, or a stuffed animal in for her to be mommy? She might need it still a bit warmer also, do you have a red light?

9. katkat92

katkat92 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 6, 2009
    Oregon
    I had a really noisy chick so I threw an old CD into the brooder and it seemed to keep it busy and quiet. They love shiny things so I suppose you could even just use an old mirror to give it something to do.

10. Bock_Bock

Bock_Bock Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 13, 2008
    Hayward, Ca
    what kind of light are you using for the heat sourse as the white light will make the chicks more fussy but having the red heat light always keeps my chicks calmer

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by