Chick is dying?

SeaPolka

Songster
Aug 25, 2017
So if you know who I am then I bought my Barbu D'Anver chick a friend, the woman sold me it singly after I explained everything. The chick was so healthy and jumping about and they play but I found the chick rolling around on the shavings, she's breathing a little but I'm pretty sure she's dying. It seems like she lost control of her head, and she flaps her wigs really fast but she can't get up. I've checked her throat, nothing stuck, no pasty butt, no bloody poop, she was fine last time I checked at 5am, it's now 9am and she's dying. I think I'm gonna end it for her, I can't watch her suffering. Please can anyone help with what this is? My other chicks have been exposed to her, they're not showing any signs of being ill but neither was she until now. I feel like such a bad owner for not seeing any signs before.
She's 3/4 weeks old, Japanese Bantam.
Sorry about the somewhat disturbing pictures.
IMG_2609.JPG
IMG_2611.JPG

Her yesterday:
IMG_2513.JPG

Have looked up Coccidiosis after thinking that could be the cause but the chicks were fed medicated chick starter for the first two and half weeks.
- also there's been no discharge from the nose or eyes. And this is the first runny poop I've seen her or any of the chicks do.
She did feel a little thin compared to my Barbu D'Anver but I'm really not sure what could've happened

Has she been eating any insects in your home? because with my experience that can sometimes cause them to be severely ill.

She caught a spider the other day but one of the others argued over it with her. They've all eaten a live mealworm last week but no one was affected by them, well unless she was and it just started taking its toll

@SeaPolka So sorry to hear about your chick.

With little ones, it's hard to know the cause of death. From your description, the head twisting and what sounds like seizures, she most likely had something neurological going on. Wry Neck may be the cause, but again, that is only a guess.

fwiw - Coccidiosis is caused by a protozoa which is found in chicken poop and in soil. Most chicks and chickens always have a certain amount, it's when there is an overload/overgrowth that is becomes a problem. http://www.merckvetmanual.com/poultry/coccidiosis/overview-of-coccidiosis-in-poultry

Back
Top Bottom