chick is dying.

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by MuckyPuppy, Jul 4, 2011.

1. MuckyPuppy

MuckyPuppy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 11, 2011
    UK
    I dont know what is wrong with it. found on its back in the incubator and temperature was at 99.0 humidity is 65

2. MuckyPuppy

Jun 11, 2011
    UK
    Nevermind the chick died. [​IMG]

3. MuckyPuppy

Jun 11, 2011
    UK
    Two others are not looking good. I don't know what is wrong. should we try and make them drink? Should we add sugar to their water? It is so heart breaking that we get this far and then this.

I'm going to try the chick section. Hopefully it won't be thought of as cross posting.

Last edited: Jul 4, 2011
  4. galanie

galanie Treat Dispenser No More

Aug 20, 2010
    Colmesneil,TX
    Take them out and get them a bit of sugar water. They shouldn't be sick right after hatching but maybe it's too hot in there for some reason. Sugar water will help them, and if anything it really wont' hurt. They say never to open the incubator during hatch but if there's a problem, I feel you have little other choice, just be quick.

5. MuckyPuppy

Jun 11, 2011
    UK
    galanie

Thank you!!!! Took them out. I got them to drink regular water. I'm getting hubby to try sugar water to them. I don't know what happened. They were fine and everything I read said not to open and that they would be ok to be left for a day so that the others can hatch. I am now going to be removing as soon as they hatch. It is so very sad. I managed to get the hatching part down but now need to learn how to keep them alive after they hatch!! Will let you know how they do. Thank you very much again!

6. MuckyPuppy

Jun 11, 2011
    UK
    It must be a day for death. Husband's grandfather just died.

7. CatDaddyAlbert

CatDaddyAlbert NoFeathersRuffled

Apr 22, 2011
    Gumboro, Delaware
    If I might make a suggestion about future hatches. The next time you have a hatch....once the feathers are dry take the bird out of the 'bator and down to a environment of about 95 degrees. They can live a number of days without food but I am of the belief they need water as soon as possible. Good luck.

When you do put them under a brood light before the space in big enough where they can go off in one direction to either use the heat or get away from it.

Good Luck

8. Tiss

Tiss Chillin' With My Peeps

May 8, 2010
    Georgia
    *Giant BYC hugs* I'm so sorry for your losses. [​IMG]

9. Duramaxgirl

Duramaxgirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2010
    Idaho
    Quote:This is a great suggestion and I do this with my chicks. I think they do better with the lower 95° temps.
    Sorry you lost some...

10. MuckyPuppy

Jun 11, 2011
    UK
    Quote:I'm doing that now but managed to shrink wrap a chick that I then had to help out. I thought we would lose it also but so far it is improving. Incubating is easy ...... hatching is the hard part.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by