Chick is getting picked on...what do I do?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by linkindna, Mar 4, 2009.

1. linkindna

linkindna Out Of The Brooder

Mar 4, 2009
    Everett, WA
    Hi,
    I just picked up my day old chicks today. After getting them settled into the brooder, I noticed one chick was getting picked on by the others. She has a couple red spots on her yellow down where the others have drawn blood around her eyes and nose, so now they really can't leave it alone!
    I've got them separated by a screen so they can see eachother but can't pick on her. She still seemed distressed that she can't be with the others, but I can't let her back in there until she heals. Any advice?

2. AngelzFyre

AngelzFyre Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 18, 2007
    Pell City, Alabama
    Do keep the chick separated until it heals. You'll need to clean the blood spots off her and if there's a wound at all, dab some Blu-Kote on it so they don't see the redness or blood. They will pick on that chick until death if they see blood and it can't get away. If the wounds are bad, you'll need to clean with a dilute betadine solution and apply neosporin or triple antibiotic ointment before the Blu-Kote solution. Make sure you don't get anything with pain reliever in it such as the "caine" medications as these are very harmful to chickens.

I've had to separate new chicks before if a couple seem a bit weak or stressed and they'll do fine when you put them back if they are stronger and healthy. I usually give the ones separated some vitamins (Poly Vi Sol without Iron) for a week or two and some yogurt and scrambled eggs with their starter until they start looking better.

What kind of brooder set up do you have? How much light are they getting?
    They seem to do better with the heat lamp as a red light and not white light. They don't pick each other as much.
    I also stick a small stuffed animal in with the lone chick if there's only one. Make sure there's nothing on it that they can peck off or swallow.
    I've also used a "rice sock". This is a tube sock that I fill with rice and heat in the microwave for about 3 min and then put it in with the chicks as long as it's not too hot. Keeps them a bit warmer and they seem to really like it.

Welcome to BYC BTW!!! [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    Keep us posted on how your new girl does please.

3. agirly4chicks

agirly4chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 16, 2009
    Hamilton, Georgia USA
    Quote:Hello,

What is Poly Vi Sol and where do I get it? I have a 2.5 week old that has had a eye problem and is healing and getting better but she is half the size of all the others. The vet said it is because of the stress her eye has caused that has made her not grow. She barley has any wing feathers and the others have tail feathers that are a inch long.

Thanks

4. AngelzFyre

Sep 18, 2007
    Pell City, Alabama
    Poly Vi Sol vitamins are a liquid vitamin/mineral supplement that's sold for infants. You can get it at Walmart or most any drug store.

Make sure to get the kind that does NOT contain iron.

You put 3 drops along the beak of the chick/chicken for a week and then gradually reduce the dose as you see them getting better after the week. I've done mine for up to 3 weeks before and I always give it to anyone that I think needs a pick-me-up when stressed or they don't seem to be doing as well as the others.

You can also add a bit more protein for the smaller chick, give her some scrambled eggs and I also have used yogurt with active cultures and cooked oatmeal to mix the yogurt in. You can also make a mash of some of the starter feed and yogurt, but make sure to take any that the chick doesn't eat out so it doesn't spoil and make her sick.

Also: If you don't know for sure, that chick that's a bit behind in feathering might be a roo. They usually feather slower, but they are most of the time larger than the others.

Hope this helps!

5. linkindna

linkindna Out Of The Brooder

Mar 4, 2009
    Everett, WA
    Thanks for the advice! I'll give it a try.

One follow-up question, is there problem with getting the betadine, neo-sporin or blu-kote in her eyes? The cuts are so close to her eyes and I don't want to hurt her even more.

Thanks!

6. AngelzFyre

Sep 18, 2007
    Pell City, Alabama
    Quote:The diluted betadine*made to look like very weak tea* wouldn't hurt her eyes, but yes the blu-kote would. Neosporin is not formulated for eyes, Poly sporin would be better to use around the eye, and you can get some opthalmic form of that from your vet usually. You need to use opthalmic ointments in and around the eye to be most safe.

Also never use anything with nolvasan around the eyes, this can injure them more than help.

7. Bullwinkle

Bullwinkle Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 30, 2008
    Nebraska
    Hi linkindna

I would emphasize what AngelzFyre said:

Quote:Cut down on the regular light and just use the red light. It will make any injuries that are reddish in color less pronounced and less likely to be picked at.

8. ranchhand

ranchhand Rest in Peace 1956-2011

Aug 25, 2008
    SC
    Good morning all posters in this thread.

I just popped in for a look, since I have 11 days olds.

linkindna, [​IMG] From South Carolina!

Angelzfire and Bullwinkle, thanks for excellent advice! Your information is accurate, concise and a relief for me to read! Sometimes useful info gets buried in the words, so much so that I can't find it.

Thanks!

9. jvls1942

jvls1942 Chicken Obsessed

Oct 16, 2008
    wausau,wisconsin
    Good advice here...

I have one thing to add..

hurry with getting the red light in withthe rest of the other chicks or you will have more to treat.. If they are too crowded that can add to the peckin problem.. watch them and quickly remove the pecked on ones..

the bloody ones you have should heal quickly..

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by