Chick is lethargic please help.

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Lynngraham, Mar 16, 2015.

1. Lynngraham

Lynngraham Out Of The Brooder

Sep 30, 2014
    My little Barred Rock chick is about 5 weeks old and is lethargic. She got pecked and I separated her. Her wound is healed but she is still sleeping all the time. What can be wrong?

2. Judy

Judy Chicken Obsessed Staff Member Premium Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    A lot of things. She may have internal injuries. She may be defective in some way -- this can even be the cause of the chick getting pecked in the first place, as they will attack a bird they believe to be weak or sick.

3. Lynngraham

Sep 30, 2014
    Thanks for the reply. So she will die?

4. Judy

Judy Chicken Obsessed Staff Member Premium Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    Is she eating and drinking? She may yet recover if she is. They seem to go into a sort of shock state, sometimes for several days.

You can keep her warm and in a quiet place, and try dropper feeding some water along the side of her beak to encourage her to start drinking again. Chickens can be very resilient. However, if she won't start eating and drinking again (drinking usually comes first,) then there is little hope. Sorry!

5. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Is she eating or drinking? If not I would try giving her some vitamin electrolyte water, such as SaveAChick mixed with water. If she has been acting sick with diarrhea or blood in droppings, standing puffed up, along with lethargy and not eating, she could be suffering from coccidiosis. Chicks at this age are very susceptible to coccidiosis, and using the cattle medicine Corid in the water for 5-7 days to treat all chicks may help. Dosage is 2 tsp of the liquid or 1.5 tsp of powder Corid per gallon of water will safely treat it. If she is lethargic from her injuries, it may not help, but I would probably start treatment. Give the sick chick some by mouth with a dropper if necessary.

6. Lynngraham

Sep 30, 2014
    she is better and went back in the coop

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by