Chick is lucky I came home early...

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Rowtag, Apr 29, 2009.

1. Rowtag

Rowtag Out Of The Brooder

Apr 18, 2009
    Murfreesboro, TN
    I am a college student with exams this week so my schedule is lighter than normal. I can home early today, at around 10:30, and walked by the dog kennel the chicks (around 10 weeks old) are in. I always go check to make sure they are okay. There was one laying, wings spread, on the ground not moving. I immediately think the worst and rush over. Stupid chick put her head through the kennel and got her head stuck in the chicken wire on the other side... she shouldn't have even been able to get her head in there. Took some working but i managed to pry her loose without injuring her, and other than being tired which I assume means she struggled for a while, she is perfectly fine. I think I nearly had a heart attack. I may take the chicken wire down now, they are big enough that they cant get through the kennel panels anymore and I don't want a repeat on a day that I don't arrive early to check on them. With temps already well above 80 degrees everyday I am not sure how they would do without water for an extended period.

And she had the gal to look innocent afterward... Why's it always gotta be the cute ones that get into trouble.

2. RendonRoo

RendonRoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 7, 2009
    ft. worth
    Great save. These little critters are good at getting into places they shouldn't be. LOL. Good Luck and good job

3. ~*Sweet Cheeks*~

~*Sweet Cheeks*~ Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2009
    Medford, Oregon
    I'm glad she's ok.

What are you doing with 10 wk olds in the house still?

4. Rowtag

Rowtag Out Of The Brooder

Apr 18, 2009
    Murfreesboro, TN
    They aren't in the house, they are in a big dog kennel outside. When they were first in there they could get caught between the spaces in the kennel panels so I put chicken wire around the bottom to keep them in... she just stuck here head out through the spaces in the kennel and got her head stuck in the wire. It is one of those 10'x10' welded wire dog kennels. The chicks moved outside weeks ago.

5. cobrien

cobrien Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 16, 2009
    Oakland, CA
    glad you were able to save the chicken!
    if you take down the chicken wire, raccoons, cats or other critters could reach in and grab them. less risk if you lock them in a house at night, but something to think about.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by