Chick is not growing and constantly peeping...

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Dandelle, Mar 14, 2012.

1. Dandelle

Dandelle Out Of The Brooder

Mar 2, 2012
    Round Rock, TX
    Hello, I have a problem here; at least I think so. I bought a Delaware hatchling from a feed store last thursday (so she's almost a week). She just won't grow, and is the smallest of five chicks. I bought an ameraucana (probably an EE though :p) with her, and they were about the same size then. Since then, the ameraucana has gotten bigger than her, and weighs a lot more.
    This alone wouldn't worry me, but she is constantly peeping. Not the happy peeping, but a loud "I want something!" open-beaked peep. All day she does this, unless she's sleeping. I have tried adjusting the heat lamp, but that doesn't seem to be the problem. When I pick her up, she stops for a few seconds, but will start up again.
    Another thing, her breath smells like chicky poo. The others don't seem to have that smell, just her.

Edit: Forgot to mention that she seems normal besides these issues. Has a good energy level, will peck at stuff and scratch the floor. I've seen her eat and drink.

Here are some photos:
    [​IMG]
    She is the chick on the left. The orange-ish one is the aforementioned ameraucana.

[​IMG]
    Her feathering so far.

And I filled out this info for good measure:

1) What type of bird , age and weight (does the chicken seem or feel lighter or thinner than the others.) -- Delaware pullet, 1 week, not sure of the actual weight but she weighs hardly anything compared to the others.
    2) What is the behavior, exactly. -- Not growing, constantly peeping, poo-breath
    3) How long has the bird been exhibiting symptoms? -- at least half a week, probably more.
    4) Are other birds exhibiting the same symptoms? -- No.
    5) Is there any bleeding, injury, broken bones or other sign of trauma. -- No.
    6) What happened, if anything that you know of, that may have caused the situation. -- Not sure
    7) What has the bird been eating and drinking, if at all. -- water, medicated chick starter, and yesterday I gave them some plain yogurt.
    8) How does the poop look? Normal? Bloody? Runny? etc. -- It's been a while since I've had chickens, so I'll just attach some photos:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    9) What has been the treatment you have administered so far? -- Nothing.
    10 ) What is your intent as far as treatment? For example, do you want to treat completely yourself, or do you need help in stabilizing the bird til you can get to a vet? -- Treat it myself if I can.
    11) (photos above)
    12) Describe the housing/bedding in use -- I have them in a plastic storage bin filled with pine shavings.

Any help is appreciated!

Last edited: Mar 14, 2012
  2. farm-a-zootical

farm-a-zootical Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 29, 2011
    Poor little thing. Can you give it some sugar water and poly-vi-sol (without iron) until someone knowledgeable can answer? Maybe some wet bread crumbs? Those helped my weak one last year, but she wasn't ill. Just a very poorly leg.

3. klmclain1

klmclain1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2011
    Well.....the bad breath COULD be sour crop. I've not heard of it in a baby like that, but I suppose it's possible.. It would account for her lack of growth, and she'd be peeping because she's hungry. Try to get some olive oil into her and gently massage her crop. Could she have ingested some bedding or something???

4. Dandelle

Mar 2, 2012
    Round Rock, TX
    Thank you both for replying :)
    I'll try the olive oil, just gotta get an eye dropper. Or perhaps I can modify one of my dad's diabetic syringes... It is possible that she could have ingested some bedding, the shavings are pretty small since they're made for small animals. And ya know chickens; they'll peck at everything.
    Alright, off to try the olive oil, again thanks you two for the help!

5. farm-a-zootical

farm-a-zootical Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 29, 2011
    keep us posted & maybe someone else can pick up with more advice

6. sjm1722

sjm1722 New Egg

Mar 15, 2012
    I've had a similar problem with a few chicks my advice is to isolate her from the other chicks for the time being. The exact same symptoms were exhibited by the 3 of my chicks a few years ago. I believe they had some sort of disease, intially they ate fine like her, but they also were peeping like she was eventually they grew very weak and would just lie there except for when they wanted to eat or drink, after a while they died. If all the rest of your chicks are fine don't keep her with them until you've watched her for a few days and keep an eye out to make sure that other chicks don't develop the same symptoms. It's also possible that she is fine, i had a few chicks that had the same symptoms as her and they got better with a little sun light and outdoor exercise and they are still around today.

7. lclough1998

lclough1998 Chillin' With My Peeps

I would get that little one off the shavings and onto paper towels. I just heard at a chick seminar at Wilco last week that for the 1st week they should not be on shavings, should be on paper towels as they are just learning what food is and the food really shows up on the white paper towels. She may have ingested shavings, maybe bread soaked with olive oil would be good and massage, like the other poster wrote

1 person likes this.
  8. Dandelle

Mar 2, 2012
    Round Rock, TX
    Well, I did the olive oil thing after my last post. It didn't do anything for her breath, but she did stop peeping so much. I also put her in her own box with only paper towels. The sour breath did finally go away a few days ago, thankfully. She has gotten a bit bigger and her feathers have come in more on her wings and tail, though she's still so small compared to the others.

[​IMG]

Today I found her with the other chicks; not sure if she flew out there herself (she has been trying since day 1 to get out of solitary confinement[​IMG]) or if my dad put her in there. Either way, I decided to keep her with 'em since she's doing better.

New question: is there anything I can feed her to kickstart faster growing and feathering for her? I don't think she'll catch up with them until they mature, but I would at least like to try something that can give her a boost. I'm going to the store today so I can pick up whatever.

And thank you all for the advice! It is very much appreciated!

Last edited: Mar 22, 2012
  9. abbaschickens

abbaschickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2010
    Cedar Park, TX
    I have had good luck with poly-vi-sol (without iron), a baby vitamin found in the pharmacy. I put it with the babies water and sometimes in their food if they get special food like oatmeal or rice. My babies love oatmeal. The will almost be mean for oatmeal. It is cheap and easy to make. It is a great value for the entertainment received from it.

Also, I always keep on hand some plastic eye droppers that I get at Sally's Beauty supply. They are really handy for things like the olive oil, etc.

Good luck.

10. arnoldandmelody

arnoldandmelody New Egg

Mar 28, 2012
    I have a week old hatchling on wood shavings as well. same symptoms. how much olive oil did you try? I used an eyedropper and put a small drop on her beak. Is that enough?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by