Chick is Panting? UPDATE

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by ddcoyne, Apr 5, 2011.

1. ddcoyne

ddcoyne Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 5, 2011
    Covington
    She did end up passing away this morning. Details in the last post in this thread.

We have 16 baby chicks that we purchased from the feed store almost two weeks ago. They are thriving and growing and we are enjoying them so much. I have one chick that is much larger than the rest, twice as big as some of the others. She eats and drinks and poops just fine, but spends a lot of the time with her mouth open doing what looks like panting. Other than that, she seems like the rest of the chicks. Any idea what's going on with her or is this a normal thing? After all, I don't know because this is our first experience with chickens.

Thanks!

Last edited: Apr 7, 2011
  2. ChickenCrazy4ever

ChickenCrazy4ever Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 26, 2011
    My house :D
    Maybe the chick is too warm?

3. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

She's your signal. It's too hot. Start lowering the temps. By week 3, mid 80's.
    Also, expand the brooder, giving them room to move in and out of cool areas. Sometimes, even the mid 80's is too hot during the day.

4. ddcoyne

Apr 5, 2011
    Covington
    Well, I'm not sure because none of the others seems to mind the temp. The temp hovers between 85-90 degrees F. We have had them for just over 2 weeks.

5. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

I agree it sounds like she's too hot. I start my day olds out at no more than 90 degrees and they're down to 80-85 by week two. It's easy for them to get too hot when they're down inside a brooder box with little or no air circulation.

6. ddcoyne

Apr 5, 2011
    Covington
    I just rechecked the temp and it's about 86. Is this too warm? part of the box gets afternoon sun and the other part I have shaded with a towel. So they have both light & shade.

One other question... Is there any reason she might be so much bigger? She is no further along maturity wise. In fact some of the others have had more feathers grow in than she has.

7. ChickenCrazy4ever

ChickenCrazy4ever Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 26, 2011
    My house :D
    She might be more dominant and therefore eating more.

8. Nikkumz

Nikkumz Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 24, 2011
    Spanaway,WA
    Its still gonna be hot in the box even with a towel, that can actually hold the heat in more. Id just raise your heat lamp a bit....Is he/she trying to stay away from the lamp at all?

9. ddcoyne

Apr 5, 2011
    Covington
    She goes all over the box. They are all active and no one seems to be trying to avoid the light or stay in it. I actually turn the lamp off for a few hours during this time of day because the afternoon sun warms the area. She is the only one that "pants" if that's even what it is. I'm not sure.

Thanks for all of the replies! This is a friendly place. I'm happy to have found it. Looks like a wealth of info!

10. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Raise your lamp, and/or decrease the wattage. It's time anyhow. Days are getting warmer and the chicks are not newborns anymore. Keep doing this until week 5 when they only need a slight amount, night only. Week six, they're are all done with heat anyhow.

You have their grow out pen all ready to go, right? [​IMG][​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by