chick is pecking out on day 18

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by cupman, Feb 21, 2012.

1. cupman

cupman Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2011
    Portland, OR
    This is my first time and sorry for the million questions but I went into lockdown today at 1pm and at 6pm I noticed one of my eggs had cracks in it, the chick was pecking it's way out. While watching it peck it's way out I saw two more eggs wiggle. Is it normal for the eggs to start getting active this early or did I maybe incubate my chickens too warm? The humidity is 78%, I wish it was lower but too many eggs are becoming active to change now. Did I do something wrong or is this normal?

2. Blueicebird

Blueicebird Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 12, 2011
    Watkins Glen
    Im in the same boat. My Khaki Campbell ducklings are hatching a day or 2 earlier.

[​IMG]

3. Tracy the chick

Tracy the chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 28, 2011
    Uk
    Hi cupman and dont worry about the million questions! I asked 2 million :lol: what type of chickens are they? Im just asking as my mother in law hatched some ko- shamo and they started to pip day 18 and hatched day 19, now these are a miniture game bird so i do think bantys and minitures do sometimes hatch early. Good luck hun..:D

4. cupman

cupman Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2011
    Portland, OR
    All my chicks are LF mutts. I have 30 eggs in there and 2 chicks. One is white and one is black. The incubation temperature was about 100.5-101*F the entire time. That may have caused the early hatch.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by