Chick is sick

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Armando I 3454, Dec 14, 2016.

1. Armando I 3454

Armando I 3454 Out Of The Brooder

Nov 11, 2016
    Texas
    One of my chicks hast started sneezing and acting weird. I had first noticed her acting different maybe like 3 days ago and yesterday I heard a sneeze but I wasn't sure who it came from until right now that I just saw her sneeze. She is a American game chick 8 1/2 weeks old. She is currently in with 2 other chickens (wellsummers her same age) should i separate them or should I might as well treat all of them? The wellsummers are acting just fine the only one who seems quite a bit "off" is the American game. What I have currently are tylan 50 and some medicine I brought from Mexico that's for respiratory diseases as well. Any help is appreciated. Thanks!!

2. Wyorp Rock

Wyorp Rock Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    What does acting weird mean?
    Any runny nose/discharge from the eyes, wheezing or coughing?
    Have you checked to make sure her nares (nostrils) are clear of any feed/debris?

Frequent sneezing can be an indication of respiratory illness. Separate her so you can monitor her. Offer her normal food and add some poultry vitamins to her water. Check her crop to make sure it's functioning properly. Antibiotics can help treat any secondary infection that may develop as a result of illness, but won't cure the disease.

Most respiratory diseases are contagious, but not all may not show signs of illness, so only treat the ones that are sick.

Here's some info on common illnesses:
    http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/ps044

3. Armando I 3454

Armando I 3454 Out Of The Brooder

Nov 11, 2016
    Texas
    Today in the morning when I was changing our their water and food I did grab all of them and check them for a runny nose. Also how do I check that her crop is functioning properly? And acting weird was that she just seemed off and less active than she usually is.

4. Wyorp Rock

Wyorp Rock Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    Gently feel the crop when she goes to bed, it should feel full, then check it first thing in the morning before she has had anything to eat/drink. The crop should be empty or "flat".

If she is still acting "off" then separating her would be a good idea so you can monitor her - it makes it easy to check crop function, poop, how much she is eating/drinking and any other symptoms you might need to make note of.

Is she still sneezing - how often?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by