1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Chick is sleeping all day, plus more...have a question

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by InParadise, Sep 20, 2010.

1. InParadise

InParadise Out Of The Brooder

Sep 12, 2010
    Our 6 1/2 week BO as of yesterday has been spotted sleeping most of the time. Just 2 days ago she was fine. She sleeps standing up for the most part or at least that is what we're seeing. She has puffed herself out to look like a big ball and is often twitching her head just the slightest. Any ideas what is going on? We have separated her from the group but what else should we do? Thanks for any help!

2. sharol

sharol Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 13, 2010
    Admire, KS
    The question everyone always asks is whether her poop is normal. Also, do you know if she is drinking and eating?

I don't have any answers, but this will bump it back up to the top of the list. Maybe someone with a real idea can jump in.

Quote:

3. InParadise

Sep 12, 2010
    Yes her poop is normal and she is eating/drinking. Not as much as the others but seems a little interested in food. After having her separate for a day, she looked pretty normal. We put her back with the rest but today she's doing the same thing again. Thanks for responding and bumping this up for me. [​IMG]

4. carrlr

carrlr Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2010
    Southern Illinois
    You say she is eating and drinking but only with a little interest. How does her crop look, i.e. full or empty?

5. InParadise

Sep 12, 2010
    Quote:We are new to this but we think it's full. My daughter thinks that compared with another chicken her crop feels full but the chicken we're comparing to was sleeping so may have not eaten for a bit.

6. carrlr

carrlr Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2010
    Southern Illinois
    Ok, if she isn't eating much but the crop stays full it maybe impacted. Check to see if it seems harder than the other chicken(s). You can google impacted crop, but there are a couple things you can try. First if you can get a eye dropper or two of mineral oil or olive oil down her throught than you can massage the crop. This may help it to pass through. A warm bath may help too. Others??

7. InParadise

Sep 12, 2010
    Quote:Thank you. I'll google and read up on impacted crop (and try the oil once I get a dropper). I really appreciated you helping us out. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by