Chick is smaller than others and doesn't drink or eat often

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by aGrover, Apr 12, 2016.

1. aGrover

aGrover New Egg

Apr 12, 2016
    I don't know what's wrong, because we just got these chickens and they're our first chicks. Everyone else is growing and getting more feathers but this chick isn't growing much, sleeps all the time, and does eat or drink very often. Never had chicks before so just wondering what I could do for our chick. :/

2. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    Hi and welcome to BYC - glad that you have joined us. I'd suggest posting on the "raising baby chicks" forum. I've only ever raised chicks with a momma hen, so unfortunately i have no experience with the issue. What i would do however, is put vitamin supplements / electrolytes in their drinking water - it might help, pending advice from more experienced members.

All the best
    CT

3. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us! :)

4. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    What breeds of chicks did you get? Your small one may be a bantam - small sized breed. If you post photos we may be able to help you. Does it interact with the other chicks, or do they bully it?

5. aGrover

aGrover New Egg

Apr 12, 2016
    Unfortunately, when I woke up this morning to check on the chicks, the small one died. Thanks for trying to help

6. Grendal1963

Grendal1963 New Egg

Jan 12, 2015
    Hello I'm new to BYC my name is Brenda I'm picking up my girls this Friday April15/16 in Seguin Ontario we are getting 6 three month old Long Island Red laying hens All and any help will be welcomed

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by