Chick isn't eating!

Caitlyn777

Hatching
May 23, 2017
I'm really worried about one of my three chicks. She is a black sex link named Cosmo and is about a month old. She hasn't grown like the other two who have full wings and are growing body feathers. Cosmo has a smaller body, small wings, and bald spots on her neck and under her wings. For the past week she has had a lot of trouble passing stool, she sits there and strains to push it out. Yesterday and today it got really bad, her vent is swollen and red and it takes a lot of effort for her to push out her stool.

I wash her butt off gently with warm water everyday or when she gets poop on it and I put vaseline around her vent. Today I fed her drops of olive oil and water and she has gone four times since, it also seems a bit easier for her.

I took her to the vet today and he said he suspects she isn't eating. The vet said he was very worried because there was no food in her crop, but she didn't eat any of the food he tried to give her; so he force fed her a small amount. I separated her from the other two chickens and gave her damp chick food with a powder the vet gave me. I also replaced the pine shavings in her cage with a towel so she wouldn't try to eat the shavings.

The cage I keep the chicks in has a tunnel separating two parts of it, so I blocked the tunnel off with a see through tupperware to separate Cosmo from the others. Cosmo just stands there at the mouth of the tunnel chirping at her friends on the other side. She still won't touch her food but I'm worried the other two chickens will overpower her and eat all her food if I unblock the tunnel.

I don't know what to do to help, her vent is still swollen and red, she's having difficulty passing stool, and she won't eat. If you have anymore tips please help :(

Leave her by herself.
Is she drinking?
What is this "powder stuff" the vet gave you called/named?
Some chicks just weren't meant to be...it happens, so prepare for the worst but hope for the best!

Btw :welcome

Leave her by herself.
Is she drinking?
What is this "powder stuff" the vet gave you called/named?
Some chicks just weren't meant to be...it happens, so prepare for the worst but hope for the best!

Btw :welcome
She doesn't seem to be drinking but I have used a dropper to try to get some water in her, and I also put water in her food. The powder is called "Bene-bac"

Looks like the powder is electrolytes, which should help her perk up.
Be careful with offering her water with the dropper you do not want it to go down her throat the wrong way. I am to chicken to do it that way.
I use the "spoon" method.
Keep offering her this mixed water.
You may want to purchase some poultry vitamins too!

keep this in mind too:
Tips for Use:
  • Bene-Bac® Plus powder may be mixed in the drinking water. Care must be taken to change the water every 12 to 24 hours depending on the temperature.

Back
Top Bottom