Chick Isn't Eating

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by FlockHappy, Feb 8, 2012.

1. FlockHappy

FlockHappy Out Of The Brooder

Jan 5, 2011
    North Carolina
    I posted this somewhere else, but no one has answered it yet:
    I just recently got 15 little australorp chicks. When I got them, one of them had spraddle leg. I fixed it and she can walk fine now, but I don't think she's eating. I went feed the chicks today, and all the rest of the chicks were excited and running around and eating like happy little chicks should....but she just stood there and watched. She's the smallest of the bunch and feels very light, and I doubt she's eating at all. I tried to feed her by hand, but she only fooled with a few pieces and quit. I don't even think any made it into her mouth. [​IMG]
    What should I do? I'm feeding them chick starter, and all the rest are doing wonderful.

2. JillS

JillS Out Of The Brooder

Jan 30, 2012
    Try the old fashioned way. Use your chick starter, mix it with water and mix it to resemble watery baby food. Use alot of water your chick needs it to process the food. Then use a clean eye dropper. You can get a cheap one at the drug store. Feed you chick pretty constantly. I'm sure you have noticed the healthy chicks eating every ten minutes. Sure try not to get the chick wet.
    The other thing try to get the mix in the mouth not in the wind pipe. If the chick is not eating it will not have fuel to keep warm. We used to wrap them in cloth for warmth, also to keep the handling to a minium.Use a seperate cloth to keep the wrap from getting wet when feeding.
    Check the blog about the green gelitian they give newly hatched chicks. This may prove a still better.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by