Chick isn't eating :(

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by kadota48, Feb 13, 2013.

1. kadota48

kadota48 Out Of The Brooder

Feb 4, 2013
    Hi there, I ordered my chicks from mcmurray and they were all alive in the box when i brought them home and within abt 8 hours of being in the brooder, 5 died, one died this morning and id hate to say so but i think theres another thts not looking too good :(

The ones that have already died kind of looked a little limp and weak when they got in the brooder and i dont think they were eating.
    The one that isnt looking good also has not been eating... it just sits there and looks like its getting weaker and weaker but when i touch it, it starts chirping.??

Ive tryed hand feeding it and it really just doesnt seem interested??

Any ideass??
    Thnk you

2. Deerling

Deerling Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2013
    King County, WA
    Try adding honey or sugar to the water to help give them a boost (you can find more info on here). You can try guving them some with a dropper of she isn't drinking, i think. Poor chickies. Hope they all feel better.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2013
  3. greenfamilyfarms

greenfamilyfarms Big Pippin'

Feb 27, 2008
    Elizabethtown, NC
    They may have gotten too weak and chilled during transport and were not able to rebound quick enough. Try giving them warm sugar water (or molasses water) and provide them with the correct amount of heat.

Within a few days, you will need to call the hatchery to report your losses. Most will reship or give a credit.

4. kadota48

kadota48 Out Of The Brooder

Feb 4, 2013
    Thnk you,, sadly i got back from church and the little chick didnt make it :(

Greenfamilyfarms... i called them when the 5 died and they credited it back..ill call them tomarrow and tell them the news.

And if you dont mind me asking,, Is it still a good idea to put that sugar in their water?

5. Deerling

Deerling Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2013
    King County, WA
    I don't think it could hurt anything, especially if any of the others are acting lethargic.

6. Vamvakas

Vamvakas Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 30, 2011
    North Branford, CT
    You should get some Sav-A-Chick it has more vitamins and electrolytes then plain sugar.

7. donnaboydjones

donnaboydjones Chillin' With My Peeps

I agree with Vamvakas. I'd give them some sav-a-chick and try dipping their beak in it just enough that they know its there. Getting some electrolytes in them might help.
    Really sorry to hear your going through this. Hope things get better!

Last edited: Feb 14, 2013
  8. greenfamilyfarms

greenfamilyfarms Big Pippin'

Feb 27, 2008
    Elizabethtown, NC
    Sav-a-chik is the best, but in a pinch you can use warm sugar water just fine.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by