chick isn't growing

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by jadell, Apr 24, 2008.

1. jadell

jadell Out Of The Brooder

Apr 20, 2008
    North Carolina
    I have 20 chicks that are a month old today. There's one that isn't hardly growing. She's [​IMG] probably 1/3 the size of the other chicks, but she's eating just like the rest. Is there a such thing as a runt with chicks? I hope they didn't accidentally send me a ban., I have two hawks nesting in my front yard that would love her to not be as big as the rest.

2. Tsagirl

Tsagirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 9, 2007
    Eugene,OR
    I have a post about this as well. One of my chicks is sooo small, but she is so sweet...sweeter then the others!

I hope someone replies to this....I would like to know about my silke being so small as well.

[​IMG]

3. conny63malies

conny63malies Overrun With Chickens

Mar 22, 2008
    Annetta Kentucky
    I got the same issue here. I got a little banty cochin that is barely if any growing. It had a hard start into life and has a microcephalus and some kind of lump on its head. All the other chicks gained atleast 15-20gram. Yes, i actually put tem on the scale, call me loopey. This chick was born 22gram and yesterdday it weight 24gram. All it gained was 2 stinkin gram. So i guess i have a runt on hand too. But i wont kill it. It is so fun to watch with his bad coordination.As long as it eats and drinks keep it. Maybe one of us will get in the guiness book for the world smallest chicken.

4. ebonykawai

ebonykawai Chillin' With My Peeps

I have a runt, too! I named it Little Danny Briere. [​IMG]

5. chickenlady

chickenlady Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 28, 2007
    Stillwater, NJ
    It could be the chick is having nutrition/vitamin absorbsion problems. I would recommend giving extra vitamins such as poly-vi-sol. Good luck to you all.

6. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    At 1 week of age I was worried about my buff brahma chicks because they seemed so much smaller than the darks and lights. Now at a lil over 2 weeks of age the darks are the ones lagging and the buffs have almost caught up to the lights. All my chicks are eating a good quality food and they all have lots of energy. I think you may just have a runt. I have one too, but she seems as healthy and active as the others.

7. Guitartists

Guitartists Resistance is futile

Mar 21, 2008
    Michigan
    I saw an image on feathersite of a dwarf chicken. Could it be a dwarf??

8. cluckychick

cluckychick Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2008
    South of KCMO
    [​IMG]

I have one of those to..her name is snowflake. Both chicks are the same age (3weeks in this pic, I think, lol)

9. Tsagirl

Tsagirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 9, 2007
    Eugene,OR
    Oh clucky........

This is a runt then, because that is how my chick looks compared to the others. They are almost 2 months old and fully feathered. LOL!
    I need to get some picutures so you all can see! [​IMG]

10. chickenlady

chickenlady Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 28, 2007
    Stillwater, NJ
    Clucky- those cant be the same breed. What breed is each?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by