1. Stauntonrdfarmhouse

Stauntonrdfarmhouse Hatching

Jun 17, 2019
    I just had to put one of my chicks down. I think she was around 4 weeks old. It looked like her intestines came out of her body. I have no idea what happened. I thought it may have been a worm or something at first. I have been searching disease articles for almost an hour and can't find any answers. Does anyone know if this is contagious? The other chicks have no symptoms and seem completely healthy, but I can't help but worry. TIA

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Enabler

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Welcome to BYC, and sorry about to hear about your chick. Do you have any pictures of her vent to share? It sounds like she may have suffered a prolapsed vent, and it could have been pulled out by the others, or it may have come out on it’s own from straining. Did the intestines come out the vent opening or from it’s umbilicus. There is nothing that can be done when the intestines come out the vent. There is nothing contagious, but I would keep a close eye on the other chickens, to watch for vent pecking or bullying.

Can you tell us if your chicks are all the same age, or if they are with older birds? What are you feeding them? Do they have heat or a light on them? How much room do they have?

3. Stauntonrdfarmhouse

Stauntonrdfarmhouse Hatching

Jun 17, 2019
    I bought 4 of them together. They appear to be the same age. I got them from a local farm and home store last week. I'm feeding them a medicated chick starter. They are in a 60 gallon tote. They were in a smaller tote for a few days when I brought them home, but they spent most of the time perched on the side of it. They didn't have a heat lamp on them at the store, so I haven't really had one on them unless they were piled on top of each other. (We had a mild "cold" snap). I put one back on them this afternoon, but it's more out of worry. I have not introduced them to my older birds. I did notice something a little funny on one of their backsides when I brought them home (looked like old crusty poo) but I don't know if it's the same one. I figured it was from being at the store for so long.

Attached Files:

4. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Enabler

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Poor thing. It may have had pasty butt where the poo gets stuck, making it difficult to poop, and they can have constipation. They usually need heat for the first 6 weeks, gradually turning it down 5 degrees each week. I start out at 90 degrees F for the first week, with a cooler spot to go to in the brooder. Sorry for your loss.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: