Chick issue

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Heather08, May 16, 2010.

1. Heather08

Heather08 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 22, 2008
    Florida
    this little guy piped the wrong end, but made it, but hasent eaten only drank wne forced with sugar water, when it drinks it rolls its head back and falls over backwards and walks backwards alot, am i wrong to assume it maybe aspirated by piping the wrong end and jsut killed a few brain cells? Will it snap outta it? were on day 2 now, how can i give him a small chance without to much help ( i preferr survival of the fittest)...but i dont mind a little help if its jsut not a fair start. otherwise it seems healthy, just hasent eaten yet and it cant last like that. going on 48 hrs now old..

2. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    can you give it a dropper full of sugar water with chick mash?

I've had a couple like that. One made it, one didn't.

3. Germaine_11.20

Germaine_11.20 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 6, 2009
    Idaho
    I wouldn't worry so much about the food, but dip it's beak in water every couple of hours and let it rest. Some will resolve and do fine and some will not make it.

Good luck to you both.

4. Heather08

Mar 22, 2008
    Florida
    Thing that stinks is when you end up obsessing over a sick chick you tend to want it to make it , of course he is beconing super friendly and looks for me to pick him up LOL little brat is makin it hard to me to keep my emotions outta it [​IMG] Such a cool color little little serama.. I hope he can pull through, probly end up being king of the castle. Hes soooooo teeny however i cant pry mouth open to get anything in there , but he will slips drips of water off my finger tip now and then, but it makes him roll his head back and he falls over.

5. Germaine_11.20

Germaine_11.20 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 6, 2009
    Idaho
    How is he doing?

6. Heather08

Mar 22, 2008
    Florida
    He is still alive, doing "OK" but not what I would consider out of the woods yet, he still chokes when he tries to drink, rolls head back and falls over, i think *theroy* sometimes when a birth is tramatic with dogs or horses ect ( my background) the muscle between the lungs and stomach gets tramatized and sorta delay'd so when he tries to drink some of it is going into his lungs, time does recover this but if to long they cant catch up due to loss of nutrition...crossin fingers...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by